Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Susan B <Sa...@outlook.com> on 2020/01/29 11:21:53 UTC

[AOO-Templates]

I have been trying for 5 hours to download and utilize some of the templates from your site. When they download they just go into my document file. I do not understand how to get them to where the app will open them up in a blank file or on a blank page. Can you tell me where I can find, easy to follow, instructions on downloading and installing them to Open Office. Or give me a URL with the directions for doing this? I am quite lost and need some of them quickly for starting my new business.

Respectfully,
Susan Busk
Managing Partner
S&T Trading & More
dba: S&T Custom Jewelry

Re: [AOO-Templates]

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chuck,

I'm also using OO 4.1.7. On Linux though. Have Windows 10 but have not
tested with it. Only so much time for volunteering in a day.

Based on your feedback I tried with no document open, with a new unsaved
document open (Untitled 1), and with a previously saved document open.

In all cases File > New > Templates and Documents initialized a new
Untitled 1 document based on the selected template.

Seems you have discovered a bug in the Mac version.

--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: [AOO-Templates]

Posted by Chuck Spalding <cs...@gmail.com>.
Alan,

Re: [AOO-Templates]

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi Susan,

Sorry you've invested so much time without success.

The following instructions worked for me...
1. the web page with links to the instructions
OpenOffice.org 3.3 User Guides (ODT) - Apache OpenOffice Wiki
<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_Chapters_ODT>

2. The chapter with template usage info found in the "Getting Started
Guide" section of the webpage above. The link will download an .odt file
that opens in Writer
Ch3 - Using Styles and Templates
<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_Chapters_ODT>

4. Refer to the section "Importing a template" on page 22.
The template must be imported before it can be used in the next step.
Note: you must know where the template file has been downloaded to so it
can be picked for import

5. Refer to "Using a template to create a document" on page 14.
Once a template is imported this is the only step that needs to be repeated
to create a document with a given template.