Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2018/05/29 13:34:36 UTC

Where we are and where we are going with Apache NetBeans 9.0

Hi all,

Major development today, with thanks to many people for working on the
release and Emilian for putting it together, we have released the rc1 of
Apache NetBeans IDE (incubating) 9.0.

My thoughts on the current status are here in the Apache NetBeans blog:

https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/announce-apache-netbeans-incubating-91

The cadence of our releases is going to speed up significantly, I believe,
and we could look at doing a minor release every 2 months with a major
release every 6 months, for example. Right now everything is as slow as
sludge since we're getting started with the whole process, though we're
getting better at it all the time.

Please read the blog entry above to orientate yourself around where we are
and what the requirements are from this point onwards, feel free to ask
questions, and we can update that blog entry accordingly.

Thanks,

Geertjan, on behalf of Apache NetBeans PPMC

Re: Where we are and where we are going with Apache NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
> PS: I'd like to thank Emilian for doing the RC1 release: greatly
> appreciated!

Aw shucks! :-) You worked a whole lot on the javac part too! I actually keep meaning on getting into those modules too.

--emi

Posted by Ognyan Kulev <og...@ognyankulev.com>.
Now I see that I jumped in without fully understanding the topic :-)

My proposal for using "-vote1" suffix still stands. I think it's much
more clearer that "-rc1" and "-vc1".

Best regards,
Ognyan

На 30.05.2018 в 22:25, Emilian Bold написа:

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com>.
On Wed, 30 May 2018 15:25:44 -0400
Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch> wrote:

> I believe Geertjan had a wider scope in mind when starting this
> thread, let's focus on that.

That is likely my fault, my question turned into a discussion.
Sorry about that! I did not mean for it to hijack the thread...

--
William L. Thomson Jr.

Re: Where we are and where we are going with Apache NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com>.
Is a suffix necessary? Why not just stick with what ever, rc1, beta, etc

As I see it, if you do any tag that a vote fails on. Why not withdraw
that tag entirely. If the vote passes, the tag remains. Thus a -rc1
would be all that is needed for a passed vote.

For example, Jetty just had  a 9.4.11.v20180521 tag. For what ever
reason that was withdrawn and removed.
https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/releases

I think a similar approach is clearer to all and does not require
additional suffixes.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.

Re: Where we are and where we are going with Apache NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Ognyan Kulev <og...@ognyankulev.com>.

Posted by Ognyan Kulev <og...@ognyankulev.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Please read the thread again. I have explained ‘vc’ several times now.

AW: Where we are and where we are going with Apache NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Rc1-rc1 doesn’t make sense at all and is confusing. It still was confusing for People for beta-rc1. There is no beta-rc in the wild. Either we have a beta or RC but beta-rc? Wy we don’t use the build number for this or build date? When you download the nightly, there is a Long number in the titlebar, I think it was the date like NetBeans 9.0-dev-20180101 or smth like that. So why not using beta-20180303 and for RC too? So everyone knows, that this rc is the latest build or is 3 days old.

My 2 cents

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
0

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com>.
On Wed, 30 May 2018 00:17:06 -0400
Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch> wrote:

> > The -rc1 is 9.0-rc1-rc1 or some new tag on Github coming?
>
> Good point, we have the 9.0-rc1-rc1 tag, perhaps I should add another
> tag 9.0-rc1 pointing to the same commit?

It is moot to me. I just have some 300+ packages to update. Not a big
deal, but I rather not do that back to back. Like updating once for a
vote, than again for a tag of the same thing.

Luckily Gentoo ebuild format does allow for chained rc, so
netbeans-9.0_rc1_rc1.ebuild, is valid just odd :)

I just would like to be able to update to test a release. Not that my
vote or anything would matter. I was just unsure if I should do that
for the rc1-rc1, if another rc1 was coming... If they are 2 tags to the
same point in git history. Its kinda moot, and surely not worth
updating the 300+ again just for change of rc1-rc1 -> rc1.

No worries, just trying to figure out when I should update my stuff.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.

Re: Where we are and where we are going with Apache NetBeans 9.0

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com>.