Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dianne Skoll <df...@roaringpenguin.com> on 2015/10/13 21:53:12 UTC

CPanel (was Re: SpamAssassin Rules Regarding Abuse of New Top Level Domains)

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:48:58 -0700
Larry Goldman <lg...@allstarcomputerservices.com> wrote:

> SpamAssassin is a framework: a framework with seemingly no
> documentation at all. I was considering downloading the source files
> to see if the framework is documented there. Is that what it takes to
> administer a mail service? Why can’t an expert (at CPanel) do this
> for me?

As I mentioned, CPanel is just a control panel that saves you from
having to edit UNIX configuration files.  They throw so-called anti-spam
services in because (1) SpamAssassin is free, and (2) they have a nice
shiny checkbox in their feature matrix in the glossy magazines.

If you actually want effective and vigilantly-maintained anti-spam
service, you either have to do it yourself (and that could be a fair
bit of work, but may be quite rewarding) or pay for a proper anti-spam
service.

Regards,

Dianne.