Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Mohamed Niyas <ni...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/19 08:10:08 UTC

Qry: Need to know the formulae of Jmeter Throughput & Standard Deviation.

Team,

I am doing a web-application performance test using the Jmeter tool. One of
the test will include a soak testing which will be running for
12, 15 & 20 hours respectively. Due to the longer period of execution, the
output files are generated with a huge size. (~ in GB's). I am
redirecting all the .jtl files with minimum output elements such as
timestamp, time bytes, thread name, status, RC, Response message.

Now the problem is, i am unable to view the output in a summary report
listener as it is crashed when i used the bigger size output file
such as more than 600 MB. Even i have increased the my JVM heap size to the
max limit 1.6GB. It can show the summary report for
which the JTL output file size is less than 400 MB.

Now i have got the alternate arrangement to get the output, from Access DB.
I am able to calculate Count, Avg, Min, Max, Error%, Avg bytes.

*But i dont know how to calculate the throughput & standard deviation for
the test which is being executed. If any of you provide some *
*information about this formulae, that would be a great help.*

Regards
Mohamed Niyas M
+91 96633 29080

Re: Qry: Need to know the formulae of Jmeter Throughput & Standard Deviation.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/05/2009, Mohamed Niyas <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Team,
>
>  I am doing a web-application performance test using the Jmeter tool. One of
>  the test will include a soak testing which will be running for
>  12, 15 & 20 hours respectively. Due to the longer period of execution, the
>  output files are generated with a huge size. (~ in GB's). I am
>  redirecting all the .jtl files with minimum output elements such as
>  timestamp, time bytes, thread name, status, RC, Response message.

Make sure you are using CSV format as well. XML format currently takes
much more memory to process (this is improved in the next release of
JMeter).

>  Now the problem is, i am unable to view the output in a summary report
>  listener as it is crashed when i used the bigger size output file
>  such as more than 600 MB. Even i have increased the my JVM heap size to the
>  max limit 1.6GB. It can show the summary report for
>  which the JTL output file size is less than 400 MB.
>
>  Now i have got the alternate arrangement to get the output, from Access DB.
>  I am able to calculate Count, Avg, Min, Max, Error%, Avg bytes.
>
>  *But i dont know how to calculate the throughput & standard deviation for
>  the test which is being executed. If any of you provide some *
>  *information about this formulae, that would be a great help.*

Throughput:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/glossary.html

Standard deviation is a common statistical measure, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation