Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Tiago Nodari <ti...@uol.com.br> on 2002/09/01 21:56:50 UTC

[OT] Java Server Faces and Developer Life Comments

         Depends how much RAM you have :)
         I tried JBuilder 7 and netbeans 3.4, both are slow starting, but
after its alright, I dont do GUI work.  Eclipse is nice also, the only
problem I have is when you alt-tab alot, it seems to take a while going
back to it, that doesnt happen with netbeans... plus the support for JSP in
Eclipse is none existant, but there is a nice tomcat plugin that helps a lot...

Re: [OT] Java Server Faces and Developer Life Comments

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
You're probably aware that I've been evaluating IDEs recently.  I
finally wound up deciding that Netbeans 3.4 suited my needs/wants more
closely than any other IDE.  Yes, you're kind of locked in to whatever
Tomcat installation they packaged with it, but, other than that, it's
really nice.  That, plus a locally (in my user directory) installed TC
4.1.19 (the beta2) with a browser (Mozilla kicks!) having a tab opened
to the admin and a tab opened to the manager works super.  I ... would
like to see better support for other Tomcat versions in Netbeans, but,
overall, I find it very satisfactory.

One of the biggest things I disliked was the fact that you can't specify
a heirarchy as a "source heirarchy" - and can't specify where it would
compile to.  I get around this using a (very) simple ant script.
 Overall, I really think Netbeans is the ideal web-app IDE.  Yes, it's
missing some nice features of the other IDEs, but ... it doesn't bother
me too bad.  I may try Sun ONE Studio again once they've got Netbeans
3.4 under it ... but the previous version (bundled with JDK 1.4) was an
absolute beast - and had many problems on my machine.

Regards,

Eddie

Posted by Michael Delamere <ho...@michael-delamere.de>.