Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com> on 2007/06/10 10:28:12 UTC

backport patternlayout changes from 1.3 to 1.2.15?

If I recall, we added support in 1.3 PatternLayout for more-than-one character pattern names (like %properties).

We use this feature in Chainsaw to display ALL of the properties on the event.

I'm not sure how much work it is to bring that in or if it's worth it, but I do need this feature (we display all of the event properties in the Chainsaw detail panel).

I can modify the %X pattern to not require an arg of the key, in which case it would display all property name/value pairs in a string format, or we could port over the layout changes from the trunk, which would allow us to use %properties, etc.

Thoughts?

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201

Telephone:      503.224.7496
Cell:           503.997.1367
Fax:            503.222.0185

sdeboy@comotivsystems.com

www.comotivsystems.com

Re: backport patternlayout changes from 1.3 to 1.2.15?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Jun 10, 2007, at 3:28 AM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> If I recall, we added support in 1.3 PatternLayout for more-than-
> one character pattern names (like %properties).
>
> We use this feature in Chainsaw to display ALL of the properties on
> the event.
>
> I'm not sure how much work it is to bring that in or if it's worth
> it, but I do need this feature (we display all of the event
> properties in the Chainsaw detail panel).
>
> I can modify the %X pattern to not require an arg of the key, in
> which case it would display all property name/value pairs in a
> string format, or we could port over the layout changes from the
> trunk, which would allow us to use %properties, etc.
>
> Thoughts?

The pattern layout component is the backported log4j 1.3
PatternLayout and should work with log4j 1.2.8 and later.  To avoid
conflicting with the log4j 1.2 PatternLayout, the class was renamed
ExhancedPatternLayout.