Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Osterman <os...@whitman.edu> on 2003/01/23 22:16:11 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.43 on RedHat Linux 7.3 - cannot enter PEM pass phrase on startup

Hello-

When booting our RedHat 7.3 server, it hangs at the "Starting httpd"
stage on the console. I know it is asking for the PEM passphrase (see
output of boot.log below), but the prompt asking for the passphrase is
not being displayed as on another server that is running 1.3 with
mod_ssl on RedHat 7.2. I cannot simply type the passphrase and hit enter
to continue.  In order to finish booting, I must SSH onto the server and
kill the startup script, and later manually start the server from the
command line.

The startup script is located at the end of runlevel 3 and is calling
"/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl startssl" and the Apache version is
2.0.43 compiled from source.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

### /var/log/boot.log.1 ###

Jan 17 18:36:34 myserver httpd: Starting web server: httpd.

Jan 17 18:36:35 myserver httpd: Apache/2.0.43 mod_ssl/2.0.43 (Pass
Phrase Dialog)

Jan 17 18:36:35 myserver httpd: Some of your private key files are
encrypted for security reasons.

Jan 17 18:36:35 myserver httpd: In order to read them you have to
provide us with the pass phrases.

Jan 17 18:36:35 myserver httpd:

Jan 17 18:36:35 myserver httpd: Server secure.myserver.com:443 (RSA)

Jan 17 18:36:35 myserver httpd: Enter pass phrase:

Jan 17 18:37:23 myserver httpd: Apache:mod_ssl:Error: Private key not
found.

Jan 17 18:37:23 myserver httpd: **Stopped

Jan 17 18:37:23 myserver rc: Starting httpd:  succeeded

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.43 on RedHat Linux 7.3 - cannot enter PEM pass phrase on startup

Posted by Matt Simonsen <ma...@careercast.com>.
On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 13:16, Michael Osterman wrote:
> Hello-
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

You mean how to get it to boot normally? Create an unencrypted key (that
is, enter a blank password when it prompts you for one in key
generation).

It will make your key "less secure" should somebody get the private key,
but your server will boot normally.

Matt