Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Jones Scott - sjones <Sc...@acxiom.com> on 2005/04/16 22:22:42 UTC

Any problems using httpclient with stateless ejbs in JBoss

I am new and plan on using httpclient with jboss 4.0 and with stateless
ejbs.  Is any one doing this?  Any gotchas?

Thanks

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.

Re: Any problems using httpclient with stateless ejbs in JBoss

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 03:22:42PM -0500, Jones Scott - sjones wrote:
> I am new and plan on using httpclient with jboss 4.0 and with stateless
> ejbs.  Is any one doing this?  Any gotchas?

Yes, there are. HttpClient has not been _specifically_ designed to be
run in EJB containers. In some circumstances HttpClient may spawn
additional threads, which violates the restrictions imposed on
well-behaved EJBs
<http://java.sun.com/blueprints/qanda/ejb_tier/restrictions.html>

This said, HttpClient can be (and has been) successfully used inside an
EJB container provided:

(1) MuthithreadHttpConnectionManager is not used
(2) Connect timeout is not used (set to zero) when running in JRE < 1.4

Hope this helps

Oleg