Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2004/03/01 04:14:05 UTC

[commons-build][all] Mavenized top level site generation example.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons-mavenized

Please feel free to point out any problems.

-Mark
--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: [commons-build][all] Mavenized top level site generation example.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Great thanks for looking into it.

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> [These are not all for attention right now]
>
> For one, the 'Sandbox' link on the front page [rather than nav] does not
> link to it, but instead jumps down to a small blurb.

Addressed, I checked in an updated sandbox.xml which I cannabalized from
your state of the sandbox entry.  I left off descriptions, we'll let
inidividual more familiar with each component commit changes to
sandbox.xml in commons-build.

> What is 'Doc for 1.0' on the Commons site? Will we version the site, or is
> this an accident?

Changed the project.properties to remove this.

> Volunteering page looks very bad.

Many of these pages look very bad.  I think switching the site over will
encourage / lower-the-barrier to improving the content of this behemoth.
     The whole commons site has a large number of wording, perspective,
and spelling problems.  We should create a page called "broken windows",
and check off the items as they are fixed.

<Ignore-this>....Or maybe we should track commons-wide issues in a Jira
project - or maybe I want to start a long drawn out fight to no end
which will involve 400 email messages.  :-)  </Ignore-this>

Re: [commons-build][all] Mavenized top level site generation example.

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:
> What Hen said. ;-)
>
> In addition, if we're really not going to have the sandbox components in
> the navigation bar, then the sandbox page needs to reference, and link to,
> all of them. (At least, I can't find any other way to get to sandbox
> components than though this page.)

I checked in a version of sandbox.xml that starts to address this issue.
  I think we need to create an informative sandbox page, instead of
linking from the left nav.

I took the categorization of sandbox sites straight off of Henri's state
of the sandbox entry.  We will need inidividual component "champions" to
supply a description.

Tim

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
What Hen said. ;-)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Henri Yandell wrote:

> [These are not all for attention right now]
>
> For one, the 'Sandbox' link on the front page [rather than nav] does not
> link to it, but instead jumps down to a small blurb.

I'm not sure of what our plans are for this, where do you want it to go to?

> One thing that Maven does, that I can't understand, is seem to make the
> lines under the links go on for a space extra. It's not in the source, but
> the css somehow makes this happen in both IE and Mozilla. Very ugly.

I'll look deeper into it, this may just be a css issue.

> How do we change the projects to have the same LHS nav bar? ie) if I click
> on IO, the nav bar changes, and not just the top chunk.

All sites need to get generated, this is just the top level.

> Can we differentiate the top block of the nav bar. It's the only part that
> should not be global, and yet it looks the same. Perhaps a different
> background, or a more emphasized line between Jakarta Commons and
> Download.

Stephen brought that up as well, I think its easily do-able with a
little css overloading.

> What is 'Doc for 1.0' on the Commons site? Will we version the site, or is
> this an accident?

Yes, I'm working on getting the top level navi working without the
defaults for each project, some came through, like the version default.
I'll look at this further.

> The copyright at the bottom is lacking a start date.

odd

> Should the 'Components' page contain Sandbox items if a Sandbox page
> exists? Need to update the Pre-Release here to include the ones I mailed
> out.

I think we should eventually figure out how to get the reactor and
velocity to spit out these project lists so they can automajically get
updated on saite generation as they change.

> Volunteering page looks very bad.

noticed. too much s  p  a  c  e.

> License page is 1.1.

I think we should remove the license.xml xdoc and let maven generate it
off the LICENSE.txt the way it is supposed to.

> The 'Releases' link should be renamed. Sounds too much like Download. How
> to Release perhaps. Also it might want to be a tree menu for the 4 links
> inside it. Unsure.

easy

> Otherwise, I like a lot :)

thx