Posted to release-discuss@apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/02 20:22:15 UTC

Re: Question on release process - making release public by svn move

Moving this thread over to dev@subversion. We're using the dist area
for our upcoming 1.7.4 release (early next week).

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote on Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 21:10:27 +0200:
> sebb wrote on Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 18:47:46 +0000:
> > No, still waiting for details on how the httpd commits were achieved.
>
> Just ask Sam to implement this in Whimsy.

Specifically:

* GET /postarelease/${pmc}
    - Runs `svn ls -R #{DIST_ROOT}/repos/${pmc}`.
    - Displays a multiselect widget (or a set of checkboxes), allowing
      to choose any subset of the files/dirs there.
    - Provide a textbox and a [Submit] button.

* POST /postarelease/${pmc}
    - Preprocessing: if both X and all of X's immediate children are
      selected, then unselect all those children.  Repeat (recursing
      upwards).
    - Preprocessing: if any selected path is a child of any other
      selected path, error out.
    - Run svnmucc to move the selected paths from dev/ to release/, with
      the user's credentials.  Use textbox contents for the log message.

Optional features:

- A hidden form field with the "last modified revision" of dev/${tlp},
  and at POST time use that as the base revision passed to the commit
  editor (via svnmucc's argv).

Re: Question on release process - making release public by svn move

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
sebb <se...@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Whatever was used to generate that commit is good because it shows
>>> clearly that the release files were derived from the dev files, for
>>> example:
>>>
>>>   R /release/httpd/CHANGES_2.2 (from /dev/httpd/CHANGES_2.2:396)
>>>   A /release/httpd/CHANGES_2.2.21 (from /dev/httpd/CHANGES_2.2.21:396)
>>
>> I don't know what httpd folks did there.
>
> Neither do I, which is where this all started ...

You can do it with svnmucc:

$ svnmucc -U http://localhost:8888/obj/repo \
     rm release/httpd/f \
     cp head dev/httpd/f release/httpd/f \
     cp head dev/httpd/g release/httpd/g

$ svn log -vqr4 http://localhost:8888/obj/repo
r4 | (no author) | 2012-03-09 19:51:58 +0000 (Fri, 09 Mar 2012)
Changed paths:
   R /release/httpd/f (from /dev/httpd/f:3)
   A /release/httpd/g (from /dev/httpd/g:3)

Or you could use the Subversion bindings to drive the RA layer.

--
uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
http://www.uberSVN.com

Re: Question on release process - making release public by svn move

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 March 2012 13:49, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:

>> > There is also
>> >
>> > 5)
>> > svn co --depth empty https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
>> > cd dist
>> > svn up --parents --set-depth infinity dev/subversion release/subversion/
>> > svn mv dev/subversion/* release/subversion/
>>
>> Won't that download every single prior release and all release
>> candidates for subversion?
>
> Yes it will.
>
>> I also asked:
>>
>> How was the following commit acheived?
>>
>> svn log -r397 -v https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
>>
>> Whatever was used to generate that commit is good because it shows
>> clearly that the release files were derived from the dev files, for
>> example:
>>
>>   R /release/httpd/CHANGES_2.2 (from /dev/httpd/CHANGES_2.2:396)
>>   A /release/httpd/CHANGES_2.2.21 (from /dev/httpd/CHANGES_2.2.21:396)
>
> I don't know what httpd folks did there.

Neither do I, which is where this all started ...

> For Subversion 1.7.4, I used danielsh's suggestion number 5 simply
> because it is easy to do and I didn't mind downloading the 1.7.3 tarballs.

That's not going to be suitable for projects with lots of archives,
e.g. Commons.
And not ideal for projects with very large archive files either.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

> > There is also
> >
> > 5)
> > svn co --depth empty https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
> > cd dist
> > svn up --parents --set-depth infinity dev/subversion release/subversion/
> > svn mv dev/subversion/* release/subversion/
>
> Won't that download every single prior release and all release
> candidates for subversion?

Yes it will.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

> > There is also
> >
> > 5)
> > svn co --depth empty https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
> > cd dist
> > svn up --parents --set-depth infinity dev/subversion release/subversion/
> > svn mv dev/subversion/* release/subversion/
>
> Won't that download every single prior release and all release
> candidates for subversion?

Yes it will.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 March 2012 12:48, Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org> wrote:
>> sebb wrote on Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 12:30:53 +0000:

>> There is also
>>
>> 5)
>> svn co --depth empty https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
>> cd dist
>> svn up --parents --set-depth infinity dev/subversion release/subversion/
>> svn mv dev/subversion/* release/subversion/
>
> Won't that download every single prior release and all release
> candidates for subversion?
> That is exactly what I was trying to avoid.
>
>>> And when might one use the different options?
>>> For example, how does 4) differ from 3)?
>>> Won't 4) end up creating subversion/1.7.4/1.7.4/ ?
>>
>> The semantics are the same as unix mv: if the 2nd argument already
>> exists, then the first argument is moved to a child within the 2nd
>> argument named like the basename of the first argument; otherwise,
>> the parent of the 2nd argument must exist.
>
> Probably safer not to recommend 4 then; as its behaviour changes
> depending on the repo state.
>

>>> Also 1 & 2 seem to relate to different directory layouts compared with 3 & 4.
>>> As far as I can tell, 3&4 assume each release has a different
>>> subdirectory, which is not the case with httpd at present.
>>> Using a separate sub-directory per release makes it trivial, but is
>>> not going to suit all projects.
>>
>> Who said per release?  You can use
>>
>> /release/$tlp/foo/
>>
>> with directory moves, where "foo" is some constant string.
>
> Well of course, but that's not the point.
>
> If foo contains multiple versions, renaming foo will rename all the
> files contained therein, which is not what is required.
>
> I also asked:
>
> How was the following commit acheived?
>
> svn log -r397 -v https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
>
> Whatever was used to generate that commit is good because it shows
> clearly that the release files were derived from the dev files, for
> example:
>
>  R /release/httpd/CHANGES_2.2 (from /dev/httpd/CHANGES_2.2:396)
>  A /release/httpd/CHANGES_2.2.21 (from /dev/httpd/CHANGES_2.2.21:396)

Just following from a distance here, but from the looks of it, I think
option 2 from Daniel's suggestions would work quite well for projects
which don't have a directory per release (and if you want the move to
be done server-side). From 'svn help move':

    usage: move SRC... DST

So you can simply give multiple sources and one destination directory. As in:

    svn mv ^/dev/httpd/CHANGES_2.2 ^/dev/httpd/CHANGES_2.2.21 ^/release/httpd

However, I'm not sure about your exact example. I don't think you can
do the R (replace) without a working copy.

--
Johan

Re: Question on release process - making release public by svn move

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 3 March 2012 09:29, Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org> wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote on Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 04:20:33 -0500:

>> > 1)
>> > svnmucc -m logmsg -U https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/   \
>> >        mv dev/subversion/subversion-1.7.4.tar.bz2         \
>> >           release/subversion/subversion-1.7.4.tar.bz2     \
>> >        mv dev/subversion/subversion-1.7.4.tar.bz2.asc     \
>> >           release/subversion/subversion-1.7.4.tar.bz2.asc
>> >
>> > 2)
>> > svn mv https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion/subversion-1.7.4.tar.bz2 \
>> >       https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion/subversion-1.7.4.tar.bz2.asc \
>> >       https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/subversion/
>> >
>> > 3)
>> > svn mv https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion/1.7.4/ \
>> >       https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/subversion/
>> >
>> > 4)
>> > svn mv https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion/1.7.4/ \
>> >       https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/subversion/1.7.4/
>> >
>> > Does that answer your question?
>>
>> I work on the same project as you, Daniel, and even for me, that was
>> certainly.... opaque.
>>
>> Looks like you are providing four different alternatives to move from
>> "development review" to "release". Did I get that right?
>>

> Yes, I was providing four different ways to move the tarballs+signatures
> from the dev/ tree to the release/ tree.
>
>> A bit of exposition would be nice.
>>

> Next time, sure.

So how was the following commit acheived?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.