Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Charitha Madusankha <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/08 16:58:34 UTC

Re: Notes from OGC meeting

Hi Martin.

I'm interesting to work on 'SIS for Android' [1]. So please provide some
background about it then I can start it asap.

Thanks,

[1] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/branches/Android/

--
Charitha Madusanka
Linkdin : http://www.linkedin.com/pub/charith-madusanka/1a/508/42a

Re: Android branch

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Le 08/01/15 17:43, Martin Desruisseaux a écrit :
> Anyway, I think that the most difficult task will the the JAXB issue.

An idea: I played a little bit with Annotation Processing Tools (APT)
and found them surprisingly powerful. I think it would be possible to
write an APT which automatically replace JAXB annotations by Java code
using the Android XML API. This action would be performed at
compile-time (no runtime dependency). If someone is interested in
exploring that path, I could write a starting point (an APT skeleton
that intercept JAXB annotations, and configure the Maven build to run
that APT).

    Martin

Re: Android branch (was: Notes from OGC meeting)

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Charitha

Le 08/01/15 16:58, Charitha Madusankha a écrit :
> I'm interesting to work on 'SIS for Android' [1]. So please provide some
> background about it then I can start it asap.

That would be hugely appreciated! We currently have an Android branch,
but is it is almost identical to trunk:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/branches/Android/

I think that the very first step would be to configure the Maven build
in order to get compiler errors when using JDK classes that are not
available on the Android platform. I didn't investigated how to do that.

Next, we would probably get a massive amount of compiler errors caused
by our use of JAXB (which is not available on Android as far as I know).
So the question would be: do we want to support reading/writing of XML
metadata documents (ISO 19139) on the Android platform? If not, we could
delete or disable JAXB dependencies on the Android branch.

An other source of compiler errors would be Java2D dependencies, but I
already managed to isolate those dependencies in separated classes in
anticipation to Android branch. One of the tasks will be to replace
usage of java.awt.geom.AffineTransform2D by android.graphics.Matrix [1].

Anyway, I think that the most difficult task will the the JAXB issue.
Any though about that?

Note: I didn't merged the trunk to the Android branch for a long time.
Do you want me to do that this week?

    Martin

[1] http://developer.android.com/reference/android/graphics/Matrix.html