Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca> on 2010/05/04 17:23:10 UTC

[SCXML] creating GSoC tasks in JIRA

Hi,

I'd like to start populating JIRA with tasks and milestones related to
my GSoC project, and I'm wondering what is the best way to go about
this. I think these tasks should go under the SCXML project in
JIRA[1], but I'm not sure if I should do more to differentiate them as
a separate sub-project.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks,

Jake

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SCXML

Re: [SCXML] creating GSoC tasks in JIRA

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi Rahul,
>
> I've created a number of sub-tasks under the original JIRA issue.
<snip/>

Thanks, this is useful. Two quick comments:

 * I've updated the 'GSoC' fix version to 3 sub-task issues that were missing it
 * For clarity, please add a short description of what the term
"benchmark models" means in SCXML-119

> One
> thing that I thought was possible, which I am now not sure about, is
> whether it is possible to create arbitrarily nested sub-tasks. It
> seemed I was unable to do so, but this may have been because the task
> was not assigned to me, or because I was not "working" on the task.
> Rather than create sub-sub-tasks, I instead simply broke the task down
> by providing a list in the task description. But, in order to track
> where I spend my time, I think it would be better to use
> sub-sub-tasks, if this is possible. What do you think about this?

<snap/>

Doesn't look to be possible. A similar effect can be achieved by
opening new issues and then setting up dependency links to the
sub-tasks. This is similar in the sense that it will be possible to
drill down from SCXML-115 to any of these issues and also trace back
from any of these issues up to SCXML-115.

> Also, would it be possible for you to assign the tasks to me please?
> It seems I do not have permissions to assign them to myself.

<snip/>

You will need to be added to the Commons Developers group in JIRA. I
can do related changes for that this weekend.

> Finally, I'd like to add an RSS feed to my blog which tracks the work
> I do on this. Do you know, is it possible to obtain an RSS feed from
> JIRA that tracks updates on a particular task?

<snap/>

There may be easier means, but one way would be to pipe the specific
email notifications using an email filter to some email to RSS
service. You will receive all notifications for the issues mentioned
above since you are the reporter for these issues. If there are issues
you are not the reporter of that you'd like to include, you can start
watching them in JIRA and have changes delivered to your inbox that
way. Finally, if you subscribe to issuesATcommons.apache.org (if you
haven't already) you will get email notifications for all Commons
components' issues.

-Rahul

Posted by Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca>.
Hi Rahul,

I've created a number of sub-tasks under the original JIRA issue. One

Posted by Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to start populating JIRA with tasks and milestones related to
> my GSoC project,
<snip/>

+1