Posted to users@flex.apache.org by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net> on 2017/02/28 00:08:33 UTC

Persistent Data

I have some components that I need to instantiate where a user will use
dropdowns and sliders and textinputs to choose values that they need to
search.  When the search begins, I want to destroy the components so that
they are garbage collected, but I want the values for the various inputs to
persist so that when I instantiate the component again, I can set it to it's
last values.  What structure do you guys like to use most to do this?  I was
considering Flex Globals, but I have heard there are more sound ways of
doing it.  Could you give me your suggestions? (i do not want to store them
in a sqlite database)

Thanks

RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Persistent Data

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
I agree with both Justin and Benjamin on this.  Keeping it simple and easy to use for your particular use case.  Adding in a static class to store the properties in and using data binding where needed sounds like the shortest and easiest path for now.

-Mark

For simple application which I assume this is I would just suggestion breaking up the application in a data model, views and use binding to display the data from  the model in the views, display custom event form the views to change the data and you have MVC without using a framework.

I suggest not using PureMVC as it is generic and thus IMO not the best fit for Flex. I have use it and many other frameworks in Flex before - but others may have different opinions.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Persistent Data

Re: Persistent Data

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
>Looks like it is time to learn :)

Sounds like the right path ;-)

My recommendation regarding a MVC framework is still PureMVC [1] cause:
- There's an awesome documentation available, including a book written by
Cliff Hall [2]
- There a lot of examples out there [3]
- There're some useful utilities available
- It suports modular programming
- It comes with a simple but powerful notification system
- It's feature frozen
- It's still alive and supported the community and by its author Cliff Hall
[4]
- It was ported to a lot of other programming languages
- It's pure.... PureMVC contains of just a few classes and interfaces
- You could use if with FlexJS out of the box

HTH,
Olaf

[1] http://puremvc.org/
[2] http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022459.do
[3] https://github.com/PureMVC/puremvc-as3-multicore-framework/wiki
[4] http://forums.puremvc.org/

Re: Persistent Data

Posted by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net>.
Olaf, you have given me a lot to think about, and a lot to look up and read.
I am programming out of necessity, not because I am a professional coder
unfortunately.  So I have stumbled across a lot of MVC discussions while
browsing the web, but have never really tried to implement it myself.  A
mistake, I am sure, but I am usually looking for the quickest way to a
solution rather than the industry practice.

Looks like it is time to learn :)

Re: Persistent Data

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
bilbosax wrote
>  Could you give me your suggestions? (i do not want to store them in a
> sqlite database)

Sounds like it's time to separate your model from your view ;-)
As Benjamin said it's a good idea to persist your data by using some AS3
classes that represents your model.
Probably there're countless aproaches how to achive this.
By implementing this and other typically stuff to separate the concerns by
yourself you maybe end up with the decision to use one of the frameworks out
there which already solved a lot of things for you (e.g. PureMVC, Parsley,
Swiz, ...).

However, one simple approach to just resolve your current issue could be to
inject a model object [1][2] to your view.
You have to implement a public variable e.g. var myModelVO:MyModelVO at your
view to achive this.

HTH,
Olaf

MyModelVO.as:

[Bindable]
public class MyModelVO
{
	public var searchItem:String;
	// ...
}

MyView:

Re: Persistent Data

Posted by Benjamin Povirk <Be...@pop-tv.si>.
Yes, they have to be static and I think they are faster this way too, else you would need to implement singleton.

> On 28 Feb 2017, at 20:26, bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Interesting.  Using Flex the way that I do, I have never had to write my own
> class before.  I will look into it more online.  Do the variables have to be
> static to do it this way?

SAMO NASLOVNIKU! / ONLY FOR THE INTENDED RECIPIENT!

Opozorilo: Ta elektronska pošta vsebuje informacije, ki so lahko zaupne narave in so namenjene samo naslovniku. Če je bilo zaradi napake v naslovu ali pri prenosu sporočilo poslano drugam, prosimo, da o tem obvestite njegovega avtorja. Če sporočilo ni bilo namenjeno vam, ne smete uporabljati, razkriti, širiti, kopirati, tiskati ali kakorkoli uporabiti informacije v sporočilu.

Disclaimer: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

Re: Persistent Data

Posted by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net>.

Re: Persistent Data

Posted by Benjamin Povirk <Be...@pop-tv.si>.
Im using a simple static variables in a class named AppVars for such "app lifetime" stuff :)
eg
public final class AppVars
{
public static var CurrentUserPermissions:ArrayCollection;
... //more app static memory
}

and then using AppVars.CurrentUserPermissions in the application