Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/04 23:15:56 UTC

help required with patch submission

I am stuck with something and need your help.

Lets take a scenario:
1.  I make some changes , like add some  methods or classes and submit a patch.
2. The patch has not yet been committed
3. My Local repo has the changes but the openejb repo does not have
those changes yet.
4. I want to start working on something else which depends on the
changes made in the patch.
5. So i make some more changes and now this is where i get stuck. How
do i create a patch without duplicating the same information which was
in the previous patch.

Now the way I work is
1. svn update
2. make changes
3. create patch and submit

Does this basically would mean that I would need to wait till some
committer commits my patch only then I would be able to submit this
new patch.

Can anybody suggest any way where I don't have to wait for a committer
to commit my patch first?

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: help required with patch submission -- Thanks Karan!

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks David,

> Just a note, seems in the standalone server most the log messages
> wind up in system.out and not in the logs/openejb.log file.
Still have to work on that.

>It's totally cool if we have one log setup for embedded stuff (maven
> building, etc.) and a different one for the standalone server.
Thats exactly what I was thinking too.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

> On Aug 4, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Karan Malhi wrote:
>
>> Yes,
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-601
>>
>> The patch is in the file openejb-601.patch
>
> Excellent.  Working on it now.

All applied.  Looks great!  Nice not to have all those .i18n(...)
method calls all over the place.  Can't wait to start leveraging it
in some of our tooling -- lots of shared options like --version and --
help can use the same messages, now we can pull it off!

Just a note, seems in the standalone server most the log messages
wind up in system.out and not in the logs/openejb.log file.  It's
totally cool if we have one log setup for embedded stuff (maven
building, etc.) and a different one for the standalone server.

Thanks again, Karan!

-David

Re: help required with patch submission

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 4, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Karan Malhi wrote:

> Yes,
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-601
>
> The patch is in the file openejb-601.patch

Excellent.  Working on it now.  Definitely feel encouraged to bug the
list when you submit a patch (don't worry about it coming off as
pushy).  A lot of jira activity goes pretty much unnoticed, so a
little "hey can someone apply this" is great.

-David

> On 8/4/07, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 4, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Karan Malhi wrote:
>>
>>> I am stuck with something and need your help.
>>>
>>> Lets take a scenario:
>>> 1.  I make some changes , like add some  methods or classes and
>>> submit a patch.
>>> 2. The patch has not yet been committed
>>> 3. My Local repo has the changes but the openejb repo does not have
>>> those changes yet.
>>> 4. I want to start working on something else which depends on the
>>> changes made in the patch.
>>> 5. So i make some more changes and now this is where i get stuck.
>>> How
>>> do i create a patch without duplicating the same information
>>> which was
>>> in the previous patch.
>>>
>>> Now the way I work is
>>> 1. svn update