Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Jason Harrop <jh...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/09 14:02:00 UTC

ooxml branch and docx

Hi

By way of introduction, i'm the maintainer of docx4j, a library for
manipulating WordprocessingML files in Java, recently re-released
under the apache v2 license.

I was looking today at my generated classes for CT_RPr and CT_ParaRPr
- the content model for an rPr element inside a pPr is essentially the
same as for an rPr in a run element, except that it is top and tailed
with some change tracking stuff:

  <xsd:complexType name="CT_ParaRPr">
    <xsd:sequence>
      <xsd:group ref="EG_ParaRPrTrackChanges" minOccurs="0"></xsd:group>
      <xsd:group ref="EG_RPrBase" minOccurs="0"></xsd:group>
      <xsd:element name="rPrChange" type="CT_ParaRPrChange" minOccurs="0">
  :

I would have liked the generated class for ParaRPr to extend the class for RPr.

I generate my classes with JAXB, and - at least with its out of the
box settings - this doesn't happen.

So I thought I'd see what XMLBean generates.  Answer: much the same.

I did notice something about some of the other classes generated by
XMLBean which i thought i should raise on this list.

org.openxmlformats.schemas.wordprocessingml.x2006.main.CTP and CTR.  -
rather than a single list for the content (EG_PContent and
EG_RunInnerContent), there is  a list or array per element.

Compare the paragraphContent field in
http://dev.plutext.org/trac/docx4j/browser/trunk/docx4j/src/main/java/org/docx4j/wml/P.java
and runContent element in
http://dev.plutext.org/trac/docx4j/browser/trunk/docx4j/src/main/java/org/docx4j/wml/R.java
generated using JAXB.

cheers,

Jason

Re: ooxml branch and docx

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Rainer Schwarze wrote:
> > I noticed this too. It's rather pesky. Do you know if the schema instructs
> > one to extend the other, or are they independently defined with repeating
> > contents? (We'll want to know the answer before we go and ask xmlbeans
> > about supporting the java class hierachy)
>
> From what I can see with my limited schema knowledge, CT_RPr and
> CT_ParaRPr both (among one or two others as well) refer to EG_RPrBase
> within their <xsd:sequence> section. So it looks to me as if it is
> common contents.

I concur. I've done a post to the xmlbeans list to ask if we can get a
common interface or something for them

> > Yeah, this is a bit pesky. Might be worth a post to the xmlbeans list, to
> > ask if it's possible to get the list of all children
>
> My current solution is a helper class which uses XmlCursor to build the
> lists of all children (there's a sample named "Order Matters" (if I
> remember well) at the XmlBeans site - it is similar to that one). This
> works for now in my case.

Cool. I've done a post to the xmlbeans list, and I'll play with the
xmlcursor stuff if there's no nicer solution they can suggest

Nick

Re: ooxml branch and docx

Posted by Rainer Schwarze <rs...@admadic.de>.
Nick Burch wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Jason Harrop wrote:
>> I was looking today at my generated classes for CT_RPr and CT_ParaRPr
>> - the content model for an rPr element inside a pPr is essentially the
>> same as for an rPr in a run element, except that it is top and tailed
>> with some change tracking stuff:
>
> I noticed this too. It's rather pesky. Do you know if the schema instructs
> one to extend the other, or are they independently defined with repeating
> contents? (We'll want to know the answer before we go and ask xmlbeans
> about supporting the java class hierachy)

 From what I can see with my limited schema knowledge, CT_RPr and
CT_ParaRPr both (among one or two others as well) refer to EG_RPrBase
within their <xsd:sequence> section. So it looks to me as if it is
common contents.

>> I did notice something about some of the other classes generated by
>> XMLBean which i thought i should raise on this list.
>>
>> org.openxmlformats.schemas.wordprocessingml.x2006.main.CTP and CTR.  -
>> rather than a single list for the content (EG_PContent and
>> EG_RunInnerContent), there is  a list or array per element.
>
> Yeah, this is a bit pesky. Might be worth a post to the xmlbeans list, to
> ask if it's possible to get the list of all children

My current solution is a helper class which uses XmlCursor to build the
lists of all children (there's a sample named "Order Matters" (if I
remember well) at the XmlBeans site - it is similar to that one). This
works for now in my case.

Best wishes,
Rainer

Re: ooxml branch and docx