Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/14 16:58:50 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Apache server getting lot of Closing connection

Could anyone please advice on this ?

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache server getting lot of Closing connection

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.
It's not very clear what are you saying. Please post some output from the
netstat command.

I guess you are talking about the back end connections between apache and
tomcat. What is the session time in your tomcat application? What are the
timeout settings in the apache config including KeepAlive and
KeepAliveTimeout settings (if any)? Check those and adjust according to your
needs.

According to RFC793 the time wait can be as twice the Maximum Segment
Lifetime (MSL). MSL is specified to be 2 minutes. So, a socket could be in a
TIME_WAIT state for as long as 4 minutes. So check your tcp kernel settings
for the sockets too. This command "ndd /dev/tcp \?" should give you all the
parameters so have a look and tune them if necessary.

Basically if you see lots of CLOSE_WAIT sockets on the apache towards the
tomcat that means the app has sent FIN request to close the connection but
the apache is still holding it open. So I would look at the apache timeouts
and the linux tcp kernel settings to correct this.

Hope this helps.

Igor

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Arunkumar Janarthanan <