Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2009/02/20 10:13:32 UTC

[general] Tracking Contributors in the POM

Hi all,

again I'm showing my newby-ness and I'm asking for an existing
policy/practice if there is one.

If somebody provides a patch in JIRA and we commit it, do we
automatically add the submitter as a contributor to the POM (in
Ant-land we'd do so, well, not inside the POM, of course)?

Is there a policy on sort order?  Is there a policy about including
the email address?

For commons-compress I'm going to track down the contributors to Ant's
original code base since the current state really doesn't reflect the
contributions of the people who wrote the code in the first place.

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: [general] Tracking Contributors in the POM

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> Is there a policy on sort order?  Is there a policy about including
>> the email address?
>
> Probably not. If you think otherwise, the contributor authorization
> should be at least asked for.

Since t am mentioned in the compress pom, I would like to say that I
am glad to be mentioned there and would give my authorization if you
would ask me. However, it's sometimes very difficult and frustrating
to contribute as a non-apache member. Listing me as a contributor in
the pom file makes me feel that my work is appreciated, and this is
good :-) Thank you!

As Luc said, i allready gave up my privacy with posting my patch to
the public dev list and knew, that somewhere and somehow would appear
my name probably.

Christian

Re: [general] Tracking Contributors in the POM

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> again I'm showing my newby-ness and I'm asking for an existing
> policy/practice if there is one.
>
> If somebody provides a patch in JIRA and we commit it, do we
> automatically add the submitter as a contributor to the POM (in
> Ant-land we'd do so, well, not inside the POM, of course)?

I think it depends on component and on the people who commit the
contribution. As a rule, I add all contributors in [math] pom.

> Is there a policy on sort order?  Is there a policy about including
> the email address?

Probably not. If you think otherwise, the contributor authorization
should be at least asked for. Of course, sending something to a public
mailing list is already giving up some privacy, but it is probably fair
to ask first.

Luc

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-24, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2009-02-21, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The JIRA contribution report (sales pitch! :) ) can help here.

>> That sales pitch worked.  Can I see it in action anywhere?

> Go to a project page on the Apache JIRA, click on Contribution Report
> and choose your version.

Ah, now I see it.  Thanks

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2009-02-21, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The JIRA contribution report (sales pitch! :) ) can help here.
>
> That sales pitch worked.  Can I see it in action anywhere?

Go to a project page on the Apache JIRA, click on Contribution Report
and choose your version.

For example:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ConfigureReport.jspa?versionId=12312139&issueStatus=all&selectedProjectId=12310470&reportKey=com.sourcelabs.jira.plugin.report.contributions%3Acontributionreport&Next=Next

It shows us that Julien Aymé did a lot of work towards that release.

Hen

Re: [general] Tracking Contributors in the POM

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-21, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not sure there is a policy.

>> Thought so.

> Yep. Personally I add people when it's a new feature or notable
> enhancement, but not for bugfixes. Loosely speaking.

>>> I've usually added contributors only if it's more than just 1-2
>>> patches. Of course I name them in the commit.

This means my own gut feelings are in line with existing practice,
good 8-)

> The JIRA contribution report (sales pitch! :) ) can help here.

That sales pitch worked.  Can I see it in action anywhere?

>> Those statements really downplay the importance of very few
>> individuals to the original code.  I feel a bit uncomfortable hiding
>> their names behind "contributors of Ant".

> We should just sign everything "The Commons" :)

Well, maybe.  POMs encourage listing of individuals and in my
experience this can be a good thing - attracting new contributors.
Once you are a recognized part of "The Commons", seeing your name
becomes less important.

I'll let this issue (listing the original contributors of ant's code
to compress) sit for now.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2009-02-20, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> If somebody provides a patch in JIRA and we commit it, do we
>>> automatically add the submitter as a contributor to the POM (in
>>> Ant-land we'd do so, well, not inside the POM, of course)?
>
>> Not sure there is a policy.
>
> Thought so.

Yep. Personally I add people when it's a new feature or notable
enhancement, but not for bugfixes. Loosely speaking.

>> I've usually added contributors only if it's more than just 1-2
>> patches. Of course I name them in the commit.
>
> OK.

The JIRA contribution report (sales pitch! :) ) can help here. When
doing a release, look at the list of people who contributed to that
release and add any who are missing.

>>> Is there a policy on sort order?  Is there a policy about including
>>> the email address?
>
>> I used to include the email address but resorted to the name only when
>> I "realized" that email addresses or just not forever.
>
> We've decided to remove each and every email address in Ant long ago
> since they are really only sources for "please help me mails" that
> should almost always go to the user list instead.

+1

>>> For commons-compress I'm going to track down the contributors to Ant's
>>> original code base since the current state really doesn't reflect the
>>> contributions of the people who wrote the code in the first place.
>
>> Those should be listed in the NOTICE.txt IMO ...which currently lists:
>
> Really?  I thought NOTICE played an important role for the legal stuff
> we must put in there - and shouldn't contain anything beyond what we
> legally must include.

Agreed. The only time I've put something in a NOTICE in this type of
use case, was when someone had put their copyright in the patch and it
was too dated a patch to figure out otherwise.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-20, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:

>> If somebody provides a patch in JIRA and we commit it, do we
>> automatically add the submitter as a contributor to the POM (in
>> Ant-land we'd do so, well, not inside the POM, of course)?

> Not sure there is a policy.

Thought so.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> If somebody provides a patch in JIRA and we commit it, do we
> automatically add the submitter as a contributor to the POM (in
> Ant-land we'd do so, well, not inside the POM, of course)?

Not sure there is a policy.

I've usually added contributors only if it's more than just 1-2
patches. Of course I name them in the commit.

> Is there a policy on sort order?  Is there a policy about including
> the email address?

I used to include the email address but resorted to the name only when
I "realized" that email addresses or just not forever.

> For commons-compress I'm going to track down the contributors to Ant's
> original code base since the current state really doesn't reflect the
> contributions of the people who wrote the code in the first place.

Those should be listed in the NOTICE.txt IMO ...which currently lists:

Original BZip2 classes contributed by Keiron Liddle
<ke...@aftexsw.com>, Aftex Software to the Apache Ant project
Original Tar classes from contributors of the Apache Ant project
Original Zip classes from contributors of the Apache Ant project
Original CPIO classes contributed by Markus Kuss and the jRPM project
(jrpm.sourceforge.net)

cheers
--
Torsten