Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/19 00:39:45 UTC

Maven (was: Thread safety)

Grant Ingersoll skrev:
> Of course, perhaps, if and when Mahout is a TLP, Taste will be a
> complete self-contained sub project.

I'm taking this oppertunity to lobby for moving the code base to
trunk/core so we get a Maven project structure and not Maven modeule
structure.

My arguments are:

It is a very small change and nothing else have to change.

We already committed to a Maven file structure and it is silly to not do
it all the way. It's going to be a bigger hassle to refactor it to a
Maven project structure if we want to do it in the future, i.e. when we
want to seperate things in to sub projects, modules, contrib area, et c.

I know I have the powers, but I'm not going to do this change when all
the other votes have been 0- (if there was such a thing). ;)

       karl

Re: Maven

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Saturday 19 April 2008, Karl Wettin wrote:
> I.e. create a module call core and mode all the code there.

+1 from me.

--
Strategy:	A long-range plan whose merit cannot be evaluated until sometime
after those creating it have left the organization.
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: Maven

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
> I.e. create a module call core and mode all the code there.

I'm glad you're all cool with this.

I'll soon execute:

> svn mkdir https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk/core -m "MAHOUT-17, Use Maven project file system"
> svn mv https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk/build.xml https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk/core -m "MAHOUT-17, Use Maven project file system"
> svn mv https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk/src https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk/core -m "MAHOUT-17, Use Maven project file system"
> svn mv https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk/lib https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/mahout/trunk/core -m "MAHOUT-17, Use Maven project file system"

         karl

Re: Maven

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
FWIW I am feeling a +1 on this. It feels like a decent bit of
future-proofing of our directory structure.

Re: Maven

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
Sean Owen skrev:
> (What can I do to prepare? I think my stuff is laid out very very
> standardly and I have a Maven pom.xml even, which I can bring forward.
> I always thought Maven was a small pain to maintain, but, that's
> because I wasn't using it myself and getting value.)

Nothing at all. I just want to:

svn co http://svn.../trunk trunk
cd trunk
mkdir core