Posted to dev@oozie.apache.org by Mark Jens <ma...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/30 09:28:27 UTC

RE: Testing Oozie on Linux ARM64

Hi Martin,

Since recently at my daily job we evaluate using Linux ARM64 servers for
our needs.
Based on my humble experience with Linux ARM64 I agree that even JVM based
software should be tested on non-x86_64 platforms.
I agree that most of the time JVM software just works but in few weeks
since I experiment with ARM64 I've found issues in Apache Phoenix, Apache
HBase (2.x) and Apache Accumulo .

Thank you for your work to improve Oozie to work on ARM64!

Kind regards,
Mark

On 2021/10/11 07:27:50 Martin Grigorov wrote:
> Dear Apache Oozie devs,
>
> Recently I've tried to build Oozie on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 ARM64 [1].
> There were two small issues but after some debugging I was able to fix
them
> and build it successfully!
>
> As a Java application Oozie should run on any of the supported platforms
by
> JDK/JRE!
> This is true until the application uses native libraries. In Oozie's case
> the problem was an old version of snappy-java library coming as a
> transitive dependency of Apache Spark.
> The second issue was due to too new version of Python (3.9.5). It seems
> PySpark does not support it yet.
>
> Since Linux ARM64 is more and more being used on the server/cloud I'd like
> to ask Oozie devs whether you are interested adding Jenkins agent that
will
> test the commits/patches or even run periodically (e.g. nightly/weekly) to
> prevent regressions when updating dependencies and to give some confidence
> to Oozie users that they could deploy it on such platform.
>
> Disclaimer: I work for OpenLab Testing (https://docs.openlabtesting.org/)
> and we could donate a Linux ARM64 VM that could be used as Jenkins agent
> for long term usage! Several other Apache projects already use such VMs,
> e.g. Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Mesos, ...
> Other projects use TravisCI for testing on arm64/ppc64/s390x. In case you
> prefer TravisCI then I could help with a patch adding .travis.yml to
Oozie!