Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jon Trauntvein <j....@comcast.net> on 2006/11/13 14:36:42 UTC

Can't get commit-email to work automatically

I am maintaining a subversion server on a Fedora core 4 machine
(subversion 1.2.3) and use access the server using the svnserve --inet
protocol.  I have been attempting in vain to make make the post-commit
hook invoke the commit-email.pl program that I found in
/usr/share/doc/subversion-1.2.3/tools/hook-scripts but see no results
when commits are made.  I can however make the script work if invoked
by hand as in the following:

  env - ./post-commit /home/group/svn 936

In this case, the expected email appears.  Does anyone have any clue
what I am doing wrong?

Regards,

Jon Trauntvein

Re: Can't get commit-email to work automatically

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 13, 2006, at 10:01, Jon Trauntvein wrote:

> My post-commit script is nothing more or less than the post-
> commit.tmpl file copied and edited to change the email address and
> to remove the python script at the end (I could not find the python
> script).  I copied commit-email.pl and am invoking it within post-
> commit as "./commit-email.pl".   I would further point out that, if
> this were a paths issue, invoking post-commit under env - would
> expose this issue.  That's why the FAQ suggests as much.

I assure you that using "./commit-email.pl", as it does in the post-
commit.tmpl, will not work. You MUST use absolute paths, i.e. "/
absolute/path/to/commit-email.pl". Yes, this is unusual. Yes, the
post-commit.tmpl shouldn't show you that if it doesn't work. But
that's the situation we have right now, and I can only ask you to
believe me and insert the absolute path to the commit-email.pl script
into your post-commit hook.

Re: Can't get commit-email to work automatically

Posted by Jon Trauntvein <j....@comcast.net>.
Mark wrote:

> Is your post-commit script executable by the user making the commit in
> subversion?  Does your post-commit script have fully qualified paths
> in it?  What is the exact contents of your post-commit script?
>
> On 11/13/06, Jon Trauntvein <j....@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I am maintaining a subversion server on a Fedora core 4 machine
>> (subversion 1.2.3) and use access the server using the svnserve --inet
>> protocol.  I have been attempting in vain to make make the post-commit
>> hook invoke the commit-email.pl program that I found in
>> /usr/share/doc/subversion-1.2.3/tools/hook-scripts but see no results
>> when commits are made.  I can however make the script work if invoked
>> by hand as in the following:
>>
>>   env - ./post-commit /home/group/svn 936
>>
>> In this case, the expected email appears.  Does anyone have any clue
>> what I am doing wrong?

I am not sure what you mean by asking if the post-commit script is
making the commit in subversion.  It seems to me that a script entitled
"post-commit" will be invoked after the commit operation has been completed.

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.
Is your post-commit script executable by the user making the commit in
subversion?  Does your post-commit script have fully qualified paths
in it?  What is the exact contents of your post-commit script?

On 11/13/06, Jon Trauntvein <j....@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am maintaining a subversion server on a Fedora core 4 machine
> (subversion 1.2.3) and use access the server using the svnserve --inet
> protocol.  I have been attempting in vain to make make the post-commit
> hook invoke the commit-email.pl program that I found in
> /usr/share/doc/subversion-1.2.3/tools/hook-scripts but see no results
> when commits are made.  I can however make the script work if invoked
> by hand as in the following:
>
>   env - ./post-commit /home/group/svn 936
>
> In this case, the expected email appears.  Does anyone have any clue
> what I am doing wrong?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Trauntvein

Mark
"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
always be happy."

Re: Can't get commit-email to work automatically

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 13, 2006, at 08:36, Jon Trauntvein wrote:

> I am maintaining a subversion server on a Fedora core 4 machine
> (subversion 1.2.3) and use access the server using the svnserve --inet
> protocol.  I have been attempting in vain to make make the post-commit
> hook invoke the commit-email.pl program that I found in
> /usr/share/doc/subversion-1.2.3/tools/hook-scripts but see no results
> when commits are made.  I can however make the script work if invoked
> by hand as in the following:
>
>  env - ./post-commit /home/group/svn 936
>
> In this case, the expected email appears.  Does anyone have any clue
> what I am doing wrong?

Could be several things.

Is the hook script itself being executed? Is its executable bit set
and named correctly? If you write to a log file from within the hook
script (specifying the absolute path to the log file), does the log
file get written to?

Are you specifying the absolute path to the commit-email.pl script?
Relative paths do not work in hook scripts (on non-Windows systems)
because the PATH variable is empty when the hooks run.