Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jesse Wodin <jw...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/07 18:49:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Proxy redirect question

Hi there, I'm running Stefam Ritt's popular elog server (just a web
server for logbook postings) on a linux (FC4) box, also running Apache
2.0.  I'm running this elog server on port 8082, with the following
lines in my httpd.conf file:

 Redirect permanent /elog http://grattalab3.stanford.edu/elog
 ProxyPass /elog/ http://grattalab3.stanford.edu:8082/

so that when I type in http://grattalab3.stanford.edu/elog/ it brings
me to the elog page. This works great, and I think this is the
standard way of having Apache act as a Proxy server to handle other
web servers running on the same machine.

My question is the following:  I have an alias for this machine
(exo-elog.stanford.edu). How can I make it so that when someone types
in this name, it sends them to the elog server? I know that one way to
do it is to use a VirtualHost directive, and then put a redirect into
the DocumentRoot area of that host, but that seems clumsy. Is there
some way to directly map exo-elog.stanford.edu to this other server?

thanks!

Jesse Wodin

--
...ooooo00000OOOOOOO00000ooooo...