Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2010/03/12 21:26:33 UTC

on Hadoop reliability wrt. EC2 (was: Re: [databasepro-48] HUG9)

During the Q&A period after my presentation at HUG9, it was interesting that some in the audience indicated they are running production Hadoop and/or HBase clusters on EC2. I want to follow up on some comments I made there.

This is a little surprising, because currently the HDFS NameNode is a single point of failure which can bring the whole service
down. That the NameNode is a SPOF is not quite so large a concern if you have the ability to engineer the particular server hosting the NameNode to be especially reliable. However, when
architecting services on EC2, you must be mindful of its guarantees, or lack thereof. On EC2 the reliability of any given instance is not guaranteed, only the service in the aggregate.

Running
Hadoop on top of EC2 in production is thus not advised until there is a good hot
fail over solution for the NameNode.

AWS offers a form of hosted Hadoop called Elastic MapReduce: http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/. Note this service treats the Hadoop/HDFS cluster as a transient unreliable construction. So should you.

Regarding a hot fail over solution for the NameNode, there is some really interesting work ongoing at the moment -- "AvatarNode", possibly with inclusion of "BookKeeper" in the architecture.

    http://hadoopblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hadoop-namenode-high-availability.html

    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-976

    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-234
        http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12399656/create.png
Once something like the above is vetted and tested, of course my above advice changes and it would become possible to architect reliable Hadoop/HBase clusters on top of EC2 and similar IaaS clouds.

In the meantime, EC2 and similar IaaS clouds are a great resource for prototyping, research and development, and hosting ephemeral clusters for QA or end to end system tests. The HBase EC2 scripts are a useful tool for doing such things with relative ease.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>.
Just FYI, after sharing this thread with my client, they've decided to go
for some monthly dedicated servers from softlayer.com instead of EC2.  For
one, they will be using lots of inbound traffic and they have a promo for
free inbound.  2TB/mo outbound for free as well.  When you take that
bandwidth into account, it's significantly cheaper than EC2 for 24/7 stuff
and also it's not virtualized and you can get whatever disks you want.  2
hour turnaround, supposedly.

Will report back how it goes :)

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hmm...

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hi Vaibhav,

My advice is for the unaware. :-)

No implication or disrespect is meant for others.

We have targeted our EC2 scripts at the newcomer, early evaluator, or casual
experimenter, though they can for sure serve as a starting point to build
something more professional/production.  So maybe someone coming to EC2 via our
scripts may not be fully aware of the risks and can use some advice. As you say,
they are not sys admins.

When there is a hot fail over solution for Hadoop that can work pretty much out
of the box, most (all?) of this will be moot.

   - Andy

Posted by Vaibhav Puranik <vp...@gmail.com>.
We (GumGum) are using HBase on EC2 happily for past 8 months. Here is why we
chose EC2:

(All of these points have been mentioned by Jon before, but I am reiterating
them here. I think it's important that people opposing ec2 understand
that *these
considerations were the most important considerations for us*).

1) The product we were using was experimental.
2) We had no sys admins.
3) The downtime of few minutes (to bring the cluster back up form a failure)
would not cost us a lot.
4) We were given a short time to bring our software to market.

During eight months we had only had one major failure because of EC2. And
the failure did not happen suddenly. *EC2 warned us that the machine we were
running our namenode on has gone bad and therefore we should replace it.* We
simply booted a new instance (with our hadoop/hbase bundled in it) and
pointed the rest of the nodes to the new namenode.

With EBS, our data is safe. In fact because of the *new EBS backed instance
feature,* it has become even more easier to manage hadoop/hbase on ec2.

Thus, it's not true that the people using HBase on EC2 are not aware of the
risks involved. They are absolutely ok with the risks! It's a choice we have
made deliberately.

Regards,
Vaibhav Puranik
http://aws-musings.com/

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Woerner / IMAP <ch...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

The public dns hostname for ec2 instances follows a namining
convention based on the ip address and the ec2 internal dns system
automatically translates lookups of the public dns hostnames to the
internal ip.  So if you assign an elastic ip to a server, then you may
be able to use the public dns hostname in your config and avoid the
data transfer fee.

Charles Woerner

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@yahoo.com>.
Useful blog!

Also see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-2327

It's a start...

Thanks Vaibhav.

Posted by Vaibhav Puranik <vp...@gmail.com>.
Andy,

Posted by Vaibhav Puranik <vp...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

Your point about scripts is right, we have done the following two things to
address it:

1) Bundle our own images with HBase/Hadoop versions and configurations

2) We have written some scripts. Once the cluster is booted, all we have to
specify  what machines are  slaves machines and what machine is the master.
We have bundled config file templates in the images. The script makes a new
config file from an template with the new internal dns names.

This solution is not fully automated. It has a manual element, but the time
to launch a new cluster with the existing data is drastically reduced.

We also use these scripts to launch a QA environment (which is essentially a
copy of the production environment).

Regards,
Vaibhav

Posted by prasenjit mukherjee <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>.
Prasen,

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by prasenjit mukherjee <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>.
>From a boots on the ground perspective (after consulting with bunches of
small companies around hadoop and hbase), there are a TON of people running
in production on EC2.  By far more people doing that than buying their own
hardware.

I strongly advise them against it in almost all cases but it tends not to
matter so much.  They want to get to market as fast as possible, they have
no sys admins, and they want to keep costs low in the short-term.  They're
also willing to take the risk.

I agree it's not smart and Streamy never went that route for your reasons
and cost reasons.

It's awesome for elastic applications, but makes far less sense for 24/7
production clusters.

Startups tend to think one month at a time and hardware outlays are costly
in time and money, in the short-term.

One thing we could do to help educate people better, besides what you did at
the HUG which was really valuable, would be to do some cost analysis.  That
kind of stuff is hard to get done in an OSS project but could help deter
people from thinking EC2 is smart because it will save them money.

When you tell them that a single node failure will kill the cluster for some
time and could even kill the data, they tend to think it won't happen to
them or that they will cross that bridge when it comes.

JG