Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Dan Moore <mo...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/24 01:56:44 UTC

jetspeed 1.5: session validation doesn't complete before other components see the user

Hi folks,

I have an existing system with which I'm integrating jetspeed 1.5.  I
have about 100,000 users already in the system, and they already have a
login setup, so I don't want to use jetspeed's authentication system.

However, I still need to make sure that visitors to the portal are
valid users.  I did this via the JetspeedSessionValidation class
(actually a subclass).  This subclass will do the needed database
lookups (based on a cookie the browser sends) and construct a jetspeed
user object based on that data.

I thought that the sessionvalidator was called before anything else;
logging statements as well as the Turbine source code certainly seems
to indicate that:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine/turbine-2.2.0/xref/org/apache/turbine/Turbine.html

However, I'm getting errors like this in the logfiles:
2004-12-23 16:41:06,805 [http8080-Processor3] WARN
CastorPsmlManagerService - PSMLManager:
/oracle/expresso5-5-0-complete/webapps/mme/WEB-INF/psml/user/NONE/html/default.psml

In default.vm, I'm able to see that a user has a username of 'NONE'
also.

NONE is my anonymous user. These errors seem to indicate that the
database lookup seems to take long enough that other components are
seeing an anonymous user.

We cache the database lookup for each session, so this error only
happens on the first login of each session, but this is still an issue.

I'm concerned that I chose the wrong place to auto login users.  Is
there a better place to do what I'm doing?  Is there a way to make sure
JetspeedSessionValidation.doPerform() completes before other components
are instantiated?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: jetspeed 1.5: session validation doesn't complete before other components see the user

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Dec 23, 2004, at 4:56 PM, Dan Moore wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have an existing system with which I'm integrating jetspeed 1.5.  I
> have about 100,000 users already in the system, and they already have a
> login setup, so I don't want to use jetspeed's authentication system.
>
> However, I still need to make sure that visitors to the portal are
> valid users.  I did this via the JetspeedSessionValidation class
> (actually a subclass).  This subclass will do the needed database
> lookups (based on a cookie the browser sends) and construct a jetspeed
> user object based on that data.
>
> I thought that the sessionvalidator was called before anything else;
> logging statements as well as the Turbine source code certainly seems
> to indicate that:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine/turbine-2.2.0/xref/org/
> apache/turbine/Turbine.html
>
> However, I'm getting errors like this in the logfiles:
> 2004-12-23 16:41:06,805 [http8080-Processor3] WARN
> CastorPsmlManagerService - PSMLManager:
> /oracle/expresso5-5-0-complete/webapps/mme/WEB-INF/psml/user/NONE/
> html/default.psml
>

> In default.vm, I'm able to see that a user has a username of 'NONE'
> also.
>
> NONE is my anonymous user. These errors seem to indicate that the
> database lookup seems to take long enough that other components are
> seeing an anonymous user.
>
> We cache the database lookup for each session, so this error only
> happens on the first login of each session, but this is still an issue.
>
> I'm concerned that I chose the wrong place to auto login users.  Is
> there a better place to do what I'm doing?  Is there a way to make sure
> JetspeedSessionValidation.doPerform() completes before other components
> are instantiated?

You've chosen the right place.
Recommend taking a look at the JAASSessionValidator or
NTLMSessionValidator for examples

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software