Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by wu qihua <wq...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/27 10:55:00 UTC

How can I test tapestry web app without restart tomcat every time changing the page specification

     every time I change the web application just a little,without restarting tomcat,can not get new result,But tomcat have the ablitiy of hot deploy,why tapestry web app can not?

Re: [dopus] How can I test tapestry web app without restart tomcat every time

Posted by Travis McCauley <tw...@virginia.edu>.
Wu Qihua,

If you don't want to change JVM system properties, you can reload the
individual web-app from the Tomcat manager application. URL should be
http://localhost.or.server.name:8080/manager/html. To get in you need
an entry in /$tomcat_home/conf/tomcat-users.xml.

This is slower than org.apache.tapestry.disable-caching=true but
faster than restarting tomcat each time.

Travis

Posted by Drew Davidson <dr...@ognl.org>.
J wrote:

> At 6/27/2003 01:55 AM $4, you wrote:
>
>>      every time I change the web application just a little,without
>> restarting tomcat,can not get new result,But tomcat have the ablitiy
>> of hot deploy,why tapestry web app can not?
>
> org.apache.tapestry.disable-caching
>
> If specified (as "true"), then the framework will discard all cached
> data (specifications, templates, pooled objects, etc.) at the end of
> each request cycle.
> This slows down request handling by a noticable amount, but is very
> useful in devlopment; it means that changes to templates and
> specifications are immediately visible to the application. It also
> helps identify any errors in managing persistent page state.
> This should never be enabled in production; the performance hit is too
> large. Like org.apache.tapestry.enable-reset-service, this must be
> specified as a JVM system property.
> on web page: http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/doc_frame.html

Why doesn't Tapestry just implement a cache for specs and html files and
check the timestamp against the cached ones and only reload that
particular component?  That wouldn't be a big performance hit (not like
currently where you have to reload EVERYTHING everytime or cache
everything and never reload).  I'm assuming that all of the component
spec and html loading is done in one place, of course, and can be
changed easily.

All of the JSP implementations in the app servers do this for JSP files,
so you kind of expect another templating technology to do it the same way.

- Drew

--
< Drew Davidson | OGNL Technology >

Re: [dopus] How can I test tapestry web app without restart tomcat every time

Posted by J <we...@fluidic.com>.