Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de> on 2002/12/31 03:17:10 UTC

new xml element for translators note

I want to add a new xml element <transnote> to common.xml. This document
could be used for translation notes. These notes should always be short
but sometimes they are neccessary because some terms do not have a
really good equivalent in german (don't know if other translations need
those notes too).

Having an element for those notes would allow us to format them in a
different way, make them a footnote, a title attibute or something else.
And the element will seperate those notes from the translated docs
semantically.

Well, I'll add this element the next days if there are no objections.
I'll also post a format suggestion then.

 Kess

Re: new xml element for translators note

Posted by Ilia Soldatenko <rk...@tversu.ru>.
+1, too. Good idea

Posted by Luiz Rocha <ls...@lsdr.net>.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Astrid Keßler wrote:

> I want to add a new xml element <transnote> to common.xml. This document
> could be used for translation notes. These notes should always be short
> but sometimes they are neccessary because some terms do not have a
> really good equivalent in german (don't know if other translations need
> those notes too).

+1.
(But I'm not sure, how they should appear in the document. I think, I'd
prefer the text in brackets and font-style: italic or so.)

nd
--
Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else
use it, and get a new one every six months.  -- Clifford Stoll

                                    (found in ssl_engine_pphrase.c)

Re: new xml element for translators note

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> as Michael mentioned elsewhere, a space should be added after the colon.

Of course. See my answer to Michael. I'm a beginner with xsl and have my
difficulties with it :)

> Besides the transnote element should not be allowed within inline elements.

Argh. I wanted to allow other inline elements within transnote but not vice
versa. Ok I'll change the DTD.

> Side note: the (resp. your) current usage of transnote doesn't make it very
> applicable for potential footnotes, since it's not used as block element
> rather than an inline comment (including half sentences etc.).

Em, yes, the current usage was influenced by the thought of having them
within the text. This is a good point. If we want to have them independent
from the place they occure, we have to write them contextless. Ok, I'll
change the content.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Astrid Keßler wrote:

> Well, the element has been added to the DTD. A layout suggestion can be
> found at http://cvs.apache.org/~kess/invoking.html.de#errors.

as Michael mentioned elsewhere, a space should be added after the colon.
Besides the transnote element should not be allowed within inline elements.

Otherwise: +1.

Side note: the (resp. your) current usage of transnote doesn't make it very
applicable for potential footnotes, since it's not used as block element
rather than an inline comment (including half sentences etc.).

nd
--
Real programmers confuse Christmas and Halloween because
DEC 25 = OCT 31.  -- Unknown

                                      (found in ssl_engine_mutex.c)

Re: new xml element for translators note

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> I want to add a new xml element <transnote> to common.xml. This document
> could be used for translation notes. These notes should always be short
> but sometimes they are neccessary because some terms do not have a
> really good equivalent in german (don't know if other translations need
> those notes too).

> Well, I'll add this element the next days if there are no objections.
> I'll also post a format suggestion then.

Well, the element has been added to the DTD. A layout suggestion can be
found at http://cvs.apache.org/~kess/invoking.html.de#errors. The string
   (Anm.d.Ü.:"Kann nicht an Port ... binden" )
is such a translation note. More concrete:
   <transnote>"Kann nicht an Port ... binden"</transnote>
will be build to
   (Anm.d.Ü.:"Kann nicht an Port ... binden" ).
The string "Anm.d.Ü.:" is language dependend telling the reader "this is a
translation note".

So please, let me know your comments...
 Kess