Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ian Holsman <Ia...@cnet.com> on 2001/05/01 17:20:46 UTC

support for modules adding entires into the scoreboard

hi.

A while ago I mentioned a need for putting info into the global scorecard
(a read-only state machine) which could be shared across processes, and
ryan mentioned that he was planning to implement a hook to allow a module to
do this.

Ryan, since you seem under the gun at the moment, can you give me a hint on
how you wanted to do this, and I'll try to create a patch to do this.

..Ian

--
Ian Holsman
Performance Measurement & Analysis

Re: support for modules adding entires into the scoreboard

Posted by Harrie Hazewinkel <ha...@covalent.net>.
Hi Ian,

I have put something together myself to get this
hook implemented. It works only in the prefork
the patch that is attached. maybe it is of help
to you.

Harrie

--
phone: +39-3474932300
http://www.lisanza.net/

Re: support for modules adding entires into the scoreboard

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
The problem is that our current apr/shmem implementation isn't really good
enough to do this.  I have started to rewrite it, and I promised to send
mail explaining what we wanted in APR for shared memory, but I forgot.

Until APR's shared memory is fixed, allowing modules to add their own data
to the scoreboard isn't possible.  The problem is that our current shared
memory support steals some of the requested memory everytime it allocates.
So, for example if I initialize APR for 1M of shared memory, and then
allocate 512k, APR will actually use 512.5k of shared memory for that
allocation.  Then, if I ask for another 256k, then APR will  actually use
256.5k.  Finally, if I ask for the last 256k, obviously it isn't there for
me.  My numbers are way off (obviously, we don't use .5 k for every
allocation), but the idea is correct.

APR's shared memory is just not good enough.  I will send a message to
dev@apr.apache.org and copy new-httpd with the exact requirements of the
new shared memory support.  Until that is implemented, the module
modifiable scoreboard isn't possible.

Ryan

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Ian Holsman wrote:

> hi.
>
> A while ago I mentioned a need for putting info into the global scorecard
> (a read-only state machine) which could be shared across processes, and
> ryan mentioned that he was planning to implement a hook to allow a module to
> do this.
>
> Ryan, since you seem under the gun at the moment, can you give me a hint on
> how you wanted to do this, and I'll try to create a patch to do this.
>
> ..Ian
>
> --
> Ian Holsman
> Performance Measurement & Analysis