Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au> on 2008/08/13 05:21:55 UTC

PostScript support for Duplexing/Tray Selection

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any idea on how I would approach duplexing and tray selection in post script files..

Jeremias – I believe you’re a bit of a PostScript fan – might be able to save me some research? ☺

Basically I have a perfect solution for all my black and white print, using PCL and modifying tray selection / duplex in the intermediate file

Trying to find a suitable color solution for Xerox printers, PCL is not supported, PostScript, PDF and VPS is, but PDF has a high impact on processing time and I believe it’s tray-selection/duplexing un-aware, VPS is not supported by FOP..  So that really leaves PostScript…

Thanks
Martin.

RE: PostScript support for Duplexing/Tray Selection

Posted by Chris Johnson <ch...@strategixsoftware.com>.
Hi Martin,

I certainly have got duplex printing to work, it was a while ago and when I did it i needed to use fop-trunk and not the 0.94 release as it kept resetting the page device in the postscript file causing the printer to think it was getting a new page type and not duplexing the paper.

I have attached a sample duplexing xsl file.

Also in the fop.xconf you need the below line in the postscript renderer section:
<dsc-compliant>false</dsc-compliant>

Chris Johnson

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
There's no direct support for tray selection as in PCL as there's no
uniform way in PostScript, applicable to all target devices, that will
work, so we provide slightly more generic extensions. Unfortunately, the
documentation hasn't made it to FOP's website, yet. It's still on the
Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ExtensionsForPostScript

As for duplex, I don't have any experience myself. I'm so busy improving
FOP that I have no time to be a FOP user and do end-user projects lately.
It should work (whatever that means) as there have been fixes to make
duplex printing work correctly. The mailing list archives will tell you
more if there are any problems.

On 13.08.2008 05:21:55 Martin Edge wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Does anyone have any idea on how I would approach duplexing and tray selection in post script files..
>
> Jeremias – I believe you’re a bit of a PostScript fan – might be able to save me some research? ☺
>
> Basically I have a perfect solution for all my black and white print, using PCL and modifying tray selection / duplex in the intermediate file
>
> Trying to find a suitable color solution for Xerox printers, PCL is not supported, PostScript, PDF and VPS is, but PDF has a high impact on processing time and I believe it’s tray-selection/duplexing un-aware, VPS is not supported by FOP..  So that really leaves PostScript…
>
> Thanks
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki