Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by "Sisk, Brad" <BS...@ancorinfo.com> on 2008/09/29 17:08:35 UTC

Broken out of the Box

The home page for Apache FTPServer claims

   "comes with default anonymous and admin/admin login from first use".

I followed the meager install instructions, installing FTPServer v3.  It
starts and runs fine.  But it never accepts the so-called default admin
login of username: admin, password: admin.  I am running it with Java6,
on WindowsXP. As I said, it IS the latest build available.  No anonymous
login ( ""    "")  accepted either.

As I said, FTPServer starts fine, no errors ever reported. But it
rejects the so-called built in default logins of (nothing/nothing for
anonymous, and "admin"/"admin" for administrator).  I have made no
changes to the jar files.  I checked in users.properties, and amin/admin
IS registered as correct user &pass for Admin login, and admin.enabled
is equal to true.

Why can no FTP client log me into FTPServer, using the 2 default logins
they claim exist?

Does anyone know of a similar Java-based GPL FTPServer by another team
which has adequate documentation and not so many problems, or will I
have to reinvent the wheel and write my own?

Re: Broken out of the Box

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Sisk, Brad <BS...@ancorinfo.com> wrote:
> The home page for Apache FTPServer claims
>
>   "comes with default anonymous and admin/admin login from first use".

This now requires using the provided users.properties file. For example, run:
bin/ftpd.sh res/conf/ftpd-typical.xml

You can find more details in the documentation, please note the
section on how to run FtpServer with the default accounts activited:
http://mina.apache.org/ftpserver/running-ftpserver-stand-alone-in-5-minutes.html

> I followed the meager install instructions, installing FTPServer v3.  It
> starts and runs fine.  But it never accepts the so-called default admin
> login of username: admin, password: admin.  I am running it with Java6,
> on WindowsXP. As I said, it IS the latest build available.  No anonymous
> login ( ""    "")  accepted either.

That is not how to log in as anonymous in FTP. Instead, you would
provide the user name "anonymous" and some password, normally your
email address. You can find further details here:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1635.html

> As I said, FTPServer starts fine, no errors ever reported. But it
> rejects the so-called built in default logins of (nothing/nothing for
> anonymous, and "admin"/"admin" for administrator).  I have made no
> changes to the jar files.  I checked in users.properties, and amin/admin
> IS registered as correct user &pass for Admin login, and admin.enabled
> is equal to true.
>
> Why can no FTP client log me into FTPServer, using the 2 default logins
> they claim exist?

Please see the documentation pointed to above.

> Does anyone know of a similar Java-based GPL FTPServer by another team
> which has adequate documentation and not so many problems, or will I
> have to reinvent the wheel and write my own?

I'm not very familiar with other open source FTP servers but I'm sure
there are several. Also, please note that Apache FtpServer is not GPL
licensed, but instead AL 2.0. If that fits you needs are of course
welcome to stick around and help getting FtpServer into the level of
quality software that you seek.

/niklas