Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Harald Falkenberg <ha...@desy.de> on 2003/01/07 22:22:35 UTC

[users@httpd] looking for: authentication / access profile server / module

Hi,

I'm looking for an authentication and access profile server / module,
which allows me to get rid of locally maintained group and password files
and allows me to use the same profiles and user authentication on
different
web servers simultaniously, just by administrating on one central
access/profile server (for instance a LDAP based server). I intend to use
this kind of server to control also access/results of search engines.
An interface to known user registries, like Kerberos, DCE, NIS is
required as well, to achieve a single-sign logon on web side as
well as on operating system side.

I think there are such product in the eBusiness area available.

Has anybody experiance with these kind of servers and can recommand
certain products or the combination of products and their setup?

What are the advantages and what are the disadvantages of such setups?

Hope to hear from you! Any hint is welcome.

Harald