Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com> on 2013/03/06 19:30:20 UTC

[FalconJx] MXML output - FlexJS

Erik,

I'm just looking at some of the things you have been working on.

I'm a bit confused... My understanding was the MXML emitters needed to
produce relevant AS code of FlexJS IE Alex's data structures.

Am I missing something obvious here that was discussed between you and Alex?

When I created the base walker and emitter I never had intentions of
producing MXML source code from the MXML AST DOM.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: [FalconJx] MXML output - FlexJS

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> I understand what you are saying but that is what the walker is for because
> most output is never going to translate to the existing structure of what
> will be output as the case with FlexJS and it's data structures. In AS we
> have a 1 to 1 relationship with the AST to source code.

FlexJS and it's data structures are certainly not the only way to go
from MXML to JS. In VanillaSDK I need to follow a different path, as
the idea is that any and all MXML (within the js-goog namespace I've
create for the SDK) will be usable.

> I see this as duplicate work considering in MXML you are basically cherry
> picking what you need and creating an internal model based on the data
> parsed which then you will loop through and create the js class.

Right now, to get a feel for FlexJS and get it's development over to
FalconJx as soon as possible, I've given priority to the
implementation of it's quirky MXML. But, like I said, I will have a
full MXML parser some time in the foreseeable future and it will serve
at least the VanillaSDK/goog output.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FalconJx] MXML output - FlexJS

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Anyways,

I will make this clear now so there is no confusion, I found a
prototype that created some of this stuff, this is the only reason I
brought it up. I was confused why you were creating MXML(answered now).

I will just keep my nose elsewhere. :)

Mike

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Quoting Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>:

> Last I looked, you were still using the threads to get the bytes from each
> compilation unit, which is good.  Yesterday, I started in on CSS support in
> FlexJS and realized that the CSS support in Falcon also uses the BURM.  Are
> you going to re-write that and any other sub-compilers as well (resources,
> fxg)?

Threads, yes I fully understand the framework now and its Futures
implementation (request tasks). I also know that I am using
multi-threading in full parse but not in source code emitting which I
am not concerned about since its pretty fast just producing
strings(verses SWF bytecode reduction).

That said, in the future I know how to the get source code production
multi-threaded as well, that is just an implementation step.

As far as CSS, how do you handle that as far as a production?

FXG would be just another traverse on the DOM, but what are you
talking about with properties parsing? Why would we have to rewrite
the properties parser?

Mike

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--