Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Adam Chase <ad...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/17 16:41:37 UTC

LVQ message deletion

I need to keep track of some latest values for a lot of things.  I
want to read them and have them still be there after the fact.  I want
them to delete eventually.

>From what I've read I think I want the no-browse option for LVQs (so
the messages aren't deleted after I've read them, and can still be
updated).
Then so they're eventually deleted, I can 1) put an expiration on each
message which will result in that value getting deleted or 2) set the
LVQ to have a RING which will keep the number of unique LVQ values to
a fixed size.

Is that correct?  Also there's no reason that LVQs can't be on a
clustered server, right?

Thanks,

Adam

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: LVQ message deletion

Posted by whenry <wh...@redhat.com>.

Adam Chase wrote:

> I need to keep track of some latest values for a lot of things.  I
> want to read them and have them still be there after the fact.  I want
> them to delete eventually.
>
> From what I've read I think I want the no-browse option for LVQs (so
> the messages aren't deleted after I've read them, and can still be
> updated).
> Then so they're eventually deleted, I can 1) put an expiration on each
> message which will result in that value getting deleted or 2) set the
> LVQ to have a RING which will keep the number of unique LVQ values to
> a fixed size.
>
> Is that correct?  Also there's no reason that LVQs can't be on a
> clustered server, right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

I posted an example on my blog this morning:

http://ipbabble.com/2009/02/amqp-and-qpid-queues.html

Best,
William

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: LVQ message deletion

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Adam Chase wrote:
> I need to keep track of some latest values for a lot of things.  I
> want to read them and have them still be there after the fact.  I want
> them to delete eventually.
>
> From what I've read I think I want the no-browse option for LVQs (so
> the messages aren't deleted after I've read them, and can still be
> updated).
> Then so they're eventually deleted, I can 1) put an expiration on each
> message which will result in that value getting deleted or 2) set the
> LVQ to have a RING which will keep the number of unique LVQ values to
> a fixed size.
>
> Is that correct?  Also there's no reason that LVQs can't be on a
> clustered server, right?

LVQ can be used in a cluster

To expire, TTL or RING can be used in-conjunction with LVQ -- that is a
fine use case for
the combo of properties.

regards,
Carl.