Posted to fortress@directory.apache.org by Chris Pike <cl...@psu.edu> on 2015/09/08 16:47:01 UTC

Fortress Data Caching

I have noticed that when I make changes to roles, I often have to reassign the user to get the updates to be reflected in the API calls. How often is the cached data updated and is there a way to force an update?

Re: Fortress Data Caching

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Sep 8, 2015, at 10:07 AM, Ramandeep Singh Nanda <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It uses ehcache. There is a configuration file present where you can set
> the expiry timeout. The file is ehcache.xml.

Hello Ramandeep,

Yes, you are correct - core uses ehcache but the behavior being mentioned here (temporal attributes not changing on user-role entries after role update) isn’t effected by the cache.  Please see my prior post for explanation.

Thanks,

Shawn

Re: Fortress Data Caching

Posted by Ramandeep Singh Nanda <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

It uses ehcache. There is a configuration file present where you can set
the expiry timeout. The file is ehcache.xml.

Regards
Ramandeep

Re: Fortress Data Caching

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Sep 8, 2015, at 9:47 AM, Chris Pike <cl...@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> I have noticed that when I make changes to roles, I often have to reassign the user to get the updates to be reflected in the API calls. How often is the cached data updated and is there a way to force an update?

Specifically we are talking about the temporal values - right?  They are stored both on the role and the user-role assignment.  The attributes from the role are pushed down into the user-role when it is assigned to a user.  The client can override those values from the role at any time.

What you are asking for is a way to push changes from the role’s temporal attributes down into the corresponding user-role assignments.

Currently this isn’t done.  I don’t believe the core should automatically push role temporal attributes down into user-role entries on role update by default.  But I believe this could be triggered by some sort of flag, either with property or data attribute.

Let’s start by opening a JIRA issue and we can discuss the behavior there.

Shawn