Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Alex Amato <aj...@google.com> on 2018/08/13 20:38:07 UTC

How to add a licence to a JSON file? Metrics Definitions file.

Hello,

I am trying to check in a JSON file which contains the FN API metrics
definitions file. This was defined in:
https://s.apache.org/beam-fn-api-metrics

Since JSON files do not allow for comments, I cannot add the necessary
license text to it, and it fails the :rat tasks checks.

Should I exclude this file from the rat checks? Or should we swap to a more
comment friendly data format instead? Perhaps yaml?

See PR for context:
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6205

Re: How to add a licence to a JSON file? Metrics Definitions file.

Posted by Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com>.
We added data files for coders and windowing strategies using YAML, would
this format make more sense? (since this would mean that data files are
consistent throughout the project)

Posted by Alex Amato <aj...@google.com>.
I'm okay with changing it to a YAML file.

If there are any objections, we can keep using JSON and add an exclude
which apache spark has done for JSON files.
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/f825847c82042a9eee7bd5cfab106310d279fc32/dev/.rat-excludes