Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/05/06 03:28:56 UTC

Re: Eclipse RCP/PDE building and Maven

I think we need an Eclipse section in the wiki and put all the pages under that

Also another thing I wanted to do is cleanup the maven eclipse plugin,
deprecate all OSGi stuff in favor of the Felix bundle plugin, and
improve the Eclipse plugins to Maven repository conversion, so we can
run it as soon as a new version of eclipse goes out. One of the things
to change is the use of artifactIds and groupIds, i think we should
make the convention of using groupId.artifactId for all those
deployments that use only a folder, like the eclipse plugins
directory, WEB-INF/lib in a war,...

other interesting thing i heard about was the possibility of using an
extension in eclipse to access a maven repository as an update site.

On 3/29/07, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/30/07, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> > yes, we have to organize this stuff better, probably gather a list of
> > interested people too.
>
> I'm all for pushing this further, but am more than willing to let
> someone else drive this.
>
> Suggestions on how to make this happen?

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

RE: Eclipse RCP/PDE building and Maven

Posted by st...@belgacom.be.

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 5/16/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 14 May 07, at 9:47 AM 14 May 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>
> > On 5/14/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> The first solution is targeted at plugins, but the second is more
> >> general with it's own lifecycle and set of plugins.
> >
> > The felix bundle plugin is more complete, with more configuration
> > options that what we have at eclipse plugin.
> >

> In all honesty I very much doubt that. The tycho stuff has been in
> production for over a year and is being used now by three very large
> organizations with very rigid build certifications policies. The
> second two have only been using it for a couple months but the author
> has been using it in production for a year.

I'm talking about the maven-bundle-plugin vs the eclipse plugin
EclipseOSGiManifestWriter that generates a limited manifest and it's
not configurable as the bundle plugin is.

i see both eclipse and bundle plugin playing together for eclipse plugin builds

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On Wed, May 16, 2007 2:03 pm, Barrie Treloar wrote:

>> Who on the team is not going to have Eclipse installed? Even on a
>> build server you would just install Eclipse. Not doing that means
>> you're going to end up with a GB of duplication if you're using/
>> testing with multiple versions of Eclipse.

In our case, our build servers don't have Eclipse, because our build
servers are headless Unix boxes. :(

This doesn't mean our headless boxes can't have an eclipse installation
directory available to them though.

> At the moment I have used the maven-eclipse-plugin to duplicate the
> Eclipse installation into the repository.  The benefit of this is the
> ability to create Eclipse Target Platforms using transitive
> dependencies.

If a plugin exists that is able to import an eclipse installation into a
maven repository just by providing the location of eclipse, it seems
logical that it should be possible to point at an eclipse installation as
a maven repository of type "eclipse", as opposed to type "legacy" or
"default".

The only problem would be that information normally extracted from a pom,
now has to be extracted from the plugin after the plugin has been
downloaded. I'm not sure how much of a problem this would be, I don't know
the internal workings of the dependency plugin that well.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Eclipse RCP/PDE building and Maven

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
> > Having them in the repo enables sharing them between the team, and I
> > can imagine that at some point we'll be able to build and test without
> > the installation but as jetty:run does with J2EE.
>
> Who on the team is not going to have Eclipse installed? Even on a
> build server you would just install Eclipse. Not doing that means
> you're going to end up with a GB of duplication if you're using/
> testing with multiple versions of Eclipse.

The Maven repository is in a known location for Maven.

However the Eclipse installation will require some non-pom
configuration details to be provided. (I agree that it is likely to be
installed on all machines)

It would also require verification that the installation specified is
the version required. (i.e. pom defines version 3.2.2 but local
installation is 3.1.0)

All of these issue can be resolved, it would be nice if it could be
done in a consistent way.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com>.
2007/5/14, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>:
> Target platform provisioning via file system
> For what i see in the update site it adds all the contents of the repo
> in the runtime. We'd need to point to a pom, get the dependencies and
> add only those to the runtime I guess. I have some code already (the
> wizard mostly), if somebody is interested on it, just waiting for a
> place to put it in.

That will be a very interesting piece of code.
Where will you put it in ?

Thanks

Damien Lecan

Re: Eclipse RCP/PDE building and Maven

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 5/6/07, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think we need an Eclipse section in the wiki and put all the pages under that

Yes please.

I created http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Eclipse+Integration
to start hanging all this together.

> Also another thing I wanted to do is cleanup the maven eclipse plugin,
> deprecate all OSGi stuff in favor of the Felix bundle plugin, and
> improve the Eclipse plugins to Maven repository conversion, so we can
> run it as soon as a new version of eclipse goes out. One of the things
> to change is the use of artifactIds and groupIds, i think we should
> make the convention of using groupId.artifactId for all those
> deployments that use only a folder, like the eclipse plugins
> directory, WEB-INF/lib in a war,...

To you want to write this up on the wiki as a starting point for
organizing this work?

I'm keen to help out, but I doubt I have time to any lead stuff.
Of course I have the selfish desire to get something working for our
projects that need all this so I have a bit more time than normal.

> other interesting thing i heard about was the possibility of using an
> extension in eclipse to access a maven repository as an update site.

Neat.