Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/09 07:56:01 UTC

Small refactoring in Http11Processor

Hi,

I have a small patch, spliting the JMX-dependent code in
Http11Processor, i.e.  the few lines of code dealing with the
registration of the thread pool and per thread data - and moving all
non-jmx code in a separate base class.

I know Tomcat5 is heavily dependent on JMX, but the connector can be
used in other containers, or it can be used standalone. This small
change won't affect any functionality on tomcat - all methods are used
only for intialization anyway, not in the critical path.

Please review and let me know if it's ok to commit the change.

Also, I would like to add another directory under j-t-c, with a build
file and few classes for a 'mini' experiment - i.e. using the connector
standalone, as a minimal http server, and also a target to build a
minimal servlet container as a single self-contained jar. We don't have
a sandbox, and j-t-c seems closest to that :-)

Costin

Re: Small refactoring in Http11Processor

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> Is there any plan to do a bit of cleanup ? Maybe move some of the dead
>> code in connectors (mod_webap, jk2, etc ) to a new repo ? And maybe
>> add a new 'sandbox' repository ?

> I'll start a new thread to gather
> candidates to move to the archive area.

There are lots of things inside connectors that needs to be archived.
For example: /ajp, /jk/native2, /jk/webapp.

Also, not sure what the '/scandoc' is used for.

Further more, inside jk/native the docs, domino, nt_service and isapi
folders are obsolete.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Small refactoring in Http11Processor

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>> I am about to kick of TC3 and TC4. Once that is complete (few days?)
>> I'll do the last batch which will be TC5, Connectors and Jasper.
>>
>> Mark
>

> Is there any plan to do a bit of cleanup ? Maybe move some of the dead
> code in connectors (mod_webap, jk2, etc ) to a new repo ? And maybe add
> a new 'sandbox' repository ?

I think a clean-up is a very good idea. An archive area already exists
and contains jakarta-tomcat-service and jakarta-tools.

We should do any clean-up after the svn migration is complete. That
way we keep migration issues separate from clean-up issues so it is
clear what the cause is if something breaks. I'll start a new thread
to gather candidates to move to the archive area.

I also think a sandbox is a good idea. Remy will have to do this as he
is the only one of us (as PMC chair) with karma at the top of our repo
and karma to change the svn authorisation file.

Mark

Re: Small refactoring in Http11Processor

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Bill Barker wrote:
> [...]

True, it allows a smaller package. TC3.3 and 4.1 don't register the
connector, so no JMX-related code is called, but it still requires
jmx.jar to be around.

> Something better would be a refactor that would remove the duplicated code
> between Http11Processor and Http11AprProcessor (which one doesn't do :).

Yes, I've been thinking about this too :-), and also InternalAprBuffer
and maybe add conditional compilation for the apr. But I didn't want to
make the diff too big and risky.

> Of course, none of this is enough for me to veto your scratching an itch :).
>

>>Also, I would like to add another directory under j-t-c, with a build
>>file and few classes for a 'mini' experiment - i.e. using the connector
>>standalone, as a minimal http server, and also a target to build a
>>minimal servlet container as a single self-contained jar. We don't have
>>a sandbox, and j-t-c seems closest to that :-)
>>

> I agree with Mladen that this would work better if you could wait a couple
> of weeks until we are up on SVN.

Ok, sounds good, I need to clean up the code anyway ( well, there are
2-3 classes only and some build.xml ).

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> I have a small patch, spliting the JMX-dependent code in
> Http11Processor, i.e.  the few lines of code dealing with the
> registration of the thread pool and per thread data - and moving all
> non-jmx code in a separate base class.
>
> I know Tomcat5 is heavily dependent on JMX, but the connector can be
> used in other containers, or it can be used standalone. This small
> change won't affect any functionality on tomcat - all methods are used
> only for intialization anyway, not in the critical path.
>
> Please review and let me know if it's ok to commit the change.

It seems that the only thing this patch does is to allow you to exclude
jmx.jar, so it's usefulness seems very minimal :).  TC 3.3 & 4.1 already run
very happily with the current code without JMX enabled.

Something better would be a refactor that would remove the duplicated code
between Http11Processor and Http11AprProcessor (which one doesn't do :).

Of course, none of this is enough for me to veto your scratching an itch :).

> Also, I would like to add another directory under j-t-c, with a build
> file and few classes for a 'mini' experiment - i.e. using the connector
> standalone, as a minimal http server, and also a target to build a
> minimal servlet container as a single self-contained jar. We don't have
> a sandbox, and j-t-c seems closest to that :-)

I agree with Mladen that this would work better if you could wait a couple
of weeks until we are up on SVN.

> Costin

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.