Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2001/06/01 15:28:09 UTC

build system fixed.

Greg, thanks for the fixes, and for the build system.  It works great
now!  The new system really is much more elegant than the old.

I'm going to get the python tests running automatically now, as part
of 'make check'.

Re: build system fixed.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 12:22:41PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:28:09AM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> >
> > Greg, thanks for the fixes, and for the build system.  It works great
> > now!  The new system really is much more elegant than the old.
>
> I just have the "doc" stuff left. I've figured out my approach and will
> implement RSN.
>
> There is also the thing about vpath builds. Need input from people on how to
> do that, or simply let somebody else handle it :-)

Also the VERSION stuff.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: build system fixed.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 02:19:25PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> > I just have the "doc" stuff left. I've figured out my approach and will
> > implement RSN.
>
> Did you read my comment about this in the bug tracker?

Yup. However, we *do* need to build them somehow.

> I don't think the doc/ directory needs to be automatically built.  I
> think we should just write a stand-alone Makefile for this dir and let
> people run it manually if they want docs.

I'm going to put rules in the top-level makefile for building this stuff.
They won't be built by default, though. As you say, run it manually: people
can type "make doc".

> The issue here is that not everyone has LaTeX and Texinfo installed.
> Unless we write tests for these packages in ./configure, it's probably
> best not to try and auto-build the docs.

I do plan to check for them in configure. It should be a simple line to look
for makeinfo and dvips and whatever.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: build system fixed.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:28:09AM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> >
> > Greg, thanks for the fixes, and for the build system.  It works great
> > now!  The new system really is much more elegant than the old.
>
> I just have the "doc" stuff left. I've figured out my approach and will
> implement RSN.

Did you read my comment about this in the bug tracker?

I don't think the doc/ directory needs to be automatically built.  I
think we should just write a stand-alone Makefile for this dir and let
people run it manually if they want docs.

The issue here is that not everyone has LaTeX and Texinfo installed.
Unless we write tests for these packages in ./configure, it's probably
best not to try and auto-build the docs.

Thoughts?

Re: build system fixed.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.