Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com> on 2004/03/02 22:29:48 UTC

FAIL - Application at context path /[context] could not be started ???

List,

I did an archive search. Nothing meaningful returned, so I'm posting
what must be a regular question.

I can get a development tree to install via the Manager interface, but I
can't get it started. This seems to be a UNIX problem at the moment.

For example on Windoze:

Install directory or WAR file located on server
Context Path (optional):  /foobar
XML Configuration file URL:
WAR or Directory URL: 	file:c:/path/to/foobar/dev

will load and start.

The very same application on Linux/Mac OS X:

Install directory or WAR file located on server
Context Path (optional): /foobar
XML Configuration file URL:
WAR or Directory URL: 	file:/home/user/path/to/foobar/dev

will load, but consistently fails to start.

The error, not explained in the Manager documentation anywhere BTW :

FAIL - Application at context path /foobar could not be started

What I can't figure out is this very application will work with the
catalina.ant tasks! Windoze or Unix. So the problem seems to be with the
HTML interface.

So, what's the trick? Anyone? Oh, I did 777 the dev tree. Didn't help. :(

Many thanks,
Tim

[CLOSED] Re: FAIL - Application at context path /[context] could not be started ???

Posted by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com>.
Timothy Stone wrote:

> Yansheng Lin wrote:
>
>> What's the console output?  how far did you get before you encounter that
>> specific error?  Sounds to me like a mis-configuration of the context
>> path
>> problem.  You sure you have the right deploy descriptor in your war file?
>>

> well, it some sort of directory problem. damn if I can figure it out.

> 2004-03-03 16:26:21 HTMLManager: list: Listing contexts for virtual host
> 'localhost'
> 2004-03-03 16:30:01 HTMLManager: install: Installing web application at
> '/foo' from 'file:///home/tstone/jwerk/blojsom/war'
> 2004-03-03 16:30:01 StandardHost[localhost]: Installing web application
> at context path /foo from URL file:/home/tstone/jwerk/blojsom/war
> 2004-03-03 16:30:01 StandardContext[/foo]: Resources start failed:
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
> /home/tstone/jwerk/blojsom/war
>  does not exist or is not a readable directory
>         at
> org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.
> java:193)
>
> *The very same app runs from /tmp*
>
> Any ideas... as I said, I 777 the dev tree, no luck.

My home directory is correctly set by default to 700. Meaning /home is
neither world readable or executable. Opps!

Setting /home/tstone to 755 fixed the problem. Doh!

But that is not a recommended solution. :D Moving the dev tree somewhere
safer for 755.

Many thanks again! Thanks for the patience as well.

Tim

Posted by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com>.

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@silvacom.com>.

Posted by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com>.