Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Pan <pa...@mercury.co.il> on 2002/02/26 13:16:37 UTC

HUP - Heap Usage Profiler

Hi,

My name is Michael Pan and I'd like to announce about the Heap Usage
Profiler (HUP) project, which I wrote as a part of my M.Sc. HUP is profiling
tool that allows the exploration and reduction of heap space consumption in
Java applications. The space saving is based on the fact that some of the
allocated objects not immediately used (or not used at all) in the
application code. Also, there are objects, which are no longer in use, but
remain in memory. The HUP tool allows a programmer to locate and remove
memory bottlenecks, which are caused by unused objects. Non of the
commercial Java profiling tools provide this functionality.
I've successfully applied HUP on Tomcat web server under load test. Now I'm
looking for people who are interested in running their projects with HUP to
find out memory bottlenecks in these projects.
The HUP tool is freely available on http://sourceforge.net/projects/hup/ and
was tested on SUN and IBM JVMs on Windows 2000 operating system. I'll be
glad to assist anyone who is interested in trying HUP.

Michael Pan.

Re: HUP - Heap Usage Profiler

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
another similar work you might want to look at

http://freshmeat.net/projects/jmp/

Of course it doesn't run on toy operating systems ;-), but collaboration
is a good thing.

-Andy

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 07:16, Michael Pan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Michael Pan and I'd like to announce about the Heap Usage
> Profiler (HUP) project, which I wrote as a part of my M.Sc. HUP is profiling
> tool that allows the exploration and reduction of heap space consumption in
> Java applications. The space saving is based on the fact that some of the
> allocated objects not immediately used (or not used at all) in the
> application code. Also, there are objects, which are no longer in use, but
> remain in memory. The HUP tool allows a programmer to locate and remove
> memory bottlenecks, which are caused by unused objects. Non of the
> commercial Java profiling tools provide this functionality.
> I've successfully applied HUP on Tomcat web server under load test. Now I'm
> looking for people who are interested in running their projects with HUP to
> find out memory bottlenecks in these projects.
> The HUP tool is freely available on http://sourceforge.net/projects/hup/ and
> was tested on SUN and IBM JVMs on Windows 2000 operating system. I'll be
> glad to assist anyone who is interested in trying HUP.
>
> Michael Pan.

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document
                            format to java
			- fix java generics!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: HUP - Heap Usage Profiler

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
It really bothers me that people think that this is a forum for announcing
their new OSS efforts...*especially* ones that are under the GPL.

I don't really care how helpful their project might be...this isn't the
forum for it.

Totally un-cool. Don't abuse this resource. general@jakarta isn't freshmeat.

-jon