Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by astrograph <as...@gmx.net> on 2004/05/18 13:27:25 UTC

8BIT Mime

Hi,

what is the status of 8-bit MIME support in James?

I read that James handles 8-bit messages correctly:
http://www.mail-archive.com/server-dev@james.apache.org/msg01721.html
and I want to test that...

In com.sun.mail.SMTPMessage there is a method .setAllow8bitMIME(boolean)
but if the server does not respond with 8BITMIME it still uses 7bit
encoding - any ideas for enforcing 8bit MIME with javamail?

cheers

Philipp

Re: 8BIT Mime

Posted by "Lawrence A. Weber" <la...@yahoo.com>.
Not a problem, except that the relay servers don't particularly care what your requirements are. In any case, I believe javamail and James should support 8-bit in preparation for when (if) the 7-bit-only relay servers disappear. It's never good to be a bottleneck. Just keep it in mind, that the 7-bit servers do exist, so that you don't go crazy trying to figure out why perfectly good code is sending something that is not received correctly.

astrograph <as...@gmx.net> wrote:Hi Lawrence,

the problem is we need a 8Bit MIME compliant e-mail server... the
requirements say so :-(

cheers

philipp

Re: 8BIT Mime