Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by "Michael A. Smith" <mi...@smith-li.com> on 2020/07/28 13:14:36 UTC

[VOTE] Drop Python 2 support

Python 2 has been officially obsolete since January 1. I propose we drop
support for it.

If we decide to continue supporting it, note that pip, the (main) Python
package management tool, will itself only support python3 in its next
release. So installing avro with python 2 will have to be done more
manually after that point.

Here are the Apache Voting Rules:

This vote will remain open for at least 72 hours, more probably until next
week.

[ ] +1 Drop support for Python 2
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Continue supporting Python 2 because/until…

Re: [VOTE] Drop Python 2 support

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
+1

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Drop Python 2 support

Posted by Tim Perkins <tj...@cantab.net>.
[X] +1 Drop support for Python 2

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Yes, fine by me.
If people need an old version of python they can still get an old version
of Avro to help them out.

So for me
+1

Niels

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
Thanks Michael,

Also, Spark is dropping support of 3.5 and below :)

Cheers, Fokko

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <mi...@smith-li.com>.

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)