Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ken Sanderson <ke...@rockies.ca> on 2002/02/05 00:44:34 UTC

JRE or JDK

Hello all. I have installed tomcat on my NT machine, in order to run a
software application that requires it. In the install instructions it talks
about setting the JAVA_HOME variable to the JDK bin folder. However, it
cannot find the necessary files it needs in that location. Instead if I set
the JAVA_HOME variable to my JRE bin folder, it works fine. Is JDK supposed
to be JRE?

Everything is working great with the JRE setup, however I noticed that when
I go to the log on window, tomcat is shut down. After some research I found
that the problem is my JDK, and I need to upgrade it to 1.3.1, which I did.
Now the question is, since my JAVA_HOME is pointing to the JRE, is it really
1.3.1 of JRE I need, not the JDK?

Sorry thats probably confusing, thoughts appreciated.

Ken Sanderson

Miistakis Institute for the Rockies
c/o Faculty of Environmental Design
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, Alberta
T2N 1N4

t 1 (403) 220-8968
  1 (403) 220-2573
w www.rockies.ca

"facilitating ecosystem research & management in the Rocky Mountains"

RE: JRE or JDK

Posted by isaco <is...@mindspring.com>.
to add a little to Paul's correct explanation, it is required to place
the java_home\jre\lib\rt.jar in your classpath variable for compiling
JSPs and regular Java applications, such as beans and utility files
etc. in your path variable, you would add the java_home\bin reference.
also, with NT installs of tomcat, i have found an anomaly whereby it
is imperative to add the java_home\...\rt.jar reference as the last in
the list of Classpath variable paths... odd but true.
I just completed a total of about 18 installs of tomcat 4.0 on win2k
and nt machines and the differences we found between them left me
breathless with frustration at various moments.
Anyway, I hope this addendum helps.
zaina

you need the JDK for JSP page compilation. JRE (Java Runtime) is only
good
for
running Java Applications. The JDK is used to compile the JSP pages
into
servlets.

Paul

RE: JRE or JDK