Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tim Howell <ti...@fefcful.org> on 2003/08/05 18:20:14 UTC

Q: How do I upgrade Perl w/mod_perl?

I'm currently using mod_perl 1.2.7 with Perl 5.8.0.  If I want to test
Perl 5.8.1 RC4, how do I recompile Perl and mod_perl without having to
make other changes?  Is there a simple way to do this upgrade?

Thanks!  =)

--TWH

Re: Q: How do I upgrade Perl w/mod_perl?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Tim Howell wrote:
> I'm currently using mod_perl 1.2.7 with Perl 5.8.0.  If I want to test
> Perl 5.8.1 RC4, how do I recompile Perl and mod_perl without having to
> make other changes?  Is there a simple way to do this upgrade?

http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#Should_I_Rebuild_mod_perl_if_I_have_Upgraded_Perl_
You have to rebuild perl, and then mod_perl, the same way you build them in
first place, it's "relatively" simply. If mod_perl 1.0 is already installed,
just running 'perl Makefile.PL' should pick the previously used configuration
directives, by internally using Apache::MyConfig.

If you use an RPM based system, you may find available RPMs:
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=mod_perl&submit=Search+...
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=perl&submit=Search+...&system=&arch=

Though I'd suggest to download src.rpm of each and rebuild them locally.
Notice that these packages may have a long pre-requisite list.