Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@apache.org> on 2006/11/06 04:40:32 UTC

[VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Hi,

It has been 3 months since the last release of the maven-pmd-plugin,
Since then, there has been a refactoring of the excludes logic to bring
harmony to the pmd and cpd reports, been numerous fixes to correct various site
generation failures, updates to allow for build output of pmd violations, updates
to the documentation to bring it inline with the plugin documentation effort, and
the ability to perform a pmd:check based on severity level.

I would like to call a vote for Releasing the PMD Plugin.

Here's my +1.

Standard 72 hour voting window.

Joakim Erdfelt
joakime@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Aa...@Globus.ch.
> Could it be updated to use PMD 3.8 first?   3.7 is still very buggy with

> JDK 1.5 code.  3.8 has several fixes for that.

I'm using a locally patched version of the PMD plugin which uses 3.8 for
some time now. All you have to do is to change the version number to 3.8.

So I second this request.

Please also consider http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPMD-44 (allow to
specify a ruleset in the POM) because it's just a single line change. I've
tested the patch here and it works OK for me.

With those two: +1

Without those two: 0

Best regards,

--
Aaron Digulla

Re: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Could it be updated to use PMD 3.8 first?   3.7 is still very buggy with
JDK 1.5 code.  3.8 has several fixes for that.

Jira:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPMD-41

Without that, I'd be -1 (non-binding).

Also:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPMD-30
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPMD-47
would be nice so test code could be checked.

Dan

On Sunday November 05 2006 10:40 pm, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It has been 3 months since the last release of the maven-pmd-plugin,
> Since then, there has been a refactoring of the excludes logic to bring
> harmony to the pmd and cpd reports, been numerous fixes to correct
> various site generation failures, updates to allow for build output of
> pmd violations, updates to the documentation to bring it inline with
> the plugin documentation effort, and the ability to perform a pmd:check
> based on severity level.
>
> I would like to call a vote for Releasing the PMD Plugin.
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> Standard 72 hour voting window.
>
> Joakim Erdfelt
> joakime@apache.org

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194   F:781-902-8001
daniel.kulp@iona.com

Re: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Mike Perham <mp...@gmail.com>.
+1

But I would prefer to see an upgrade to PMD 3.8 before release.

Re: Voting procedures WAS: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 07/11/2006, at 5:59 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> How so?

I'm not sure what you are referring to. But changing the build to
include license files means we need to check that it's all good
before we can vote on it. And tests not passing is likewise a blocker.

- Brett

Re: Voting procedures WAS: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 6 Nov 06, at 10:33 PM 6 Nov 06, Brett Porter wrote:

> We need to have better voting procedures, because it's hard to see
> what the official count is amongst the discussion. It seems the
> thread where Jason said these were under way was not explicit
> enough, so my suggestion is:
>
> 1) we stop the PMD vote thread now. Daniel's two issues are indeed
> blockers (I understand the first has been done, but I believe we
> also need to change the header in every file?)

How so?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
I've gone ahead and create a JIRA item to track it:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPMD-50
Patch attached.

I've preliminarily put it in the 2.2 Fix version, but I'll leave it up to
the maven folks to determine if it should stay there.

Dan

Re: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Mike Perham <mp...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
> 2) I'm getting a test failure on my machine.   I'll look into it a bit
> more this afternoon if I get some time.   Stack trace:

I tracked this down....

It's a test that relies on a particular behavior that doesn't seem to be
valid 100% of the time.

On line 89 of:
src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/pmd/CpdReport.java
you see:
List files = getFilesToProcess( "**/*.java" );

The test that is failing on my machine seems to expect that the returned
list of files is sorted, or at least in a particular order.   However,
there is nothing in getFilesToProcess that guarantees that and on my
machine, the resulting list is definitely not sorted.   Maybe my
filesystem orders things differently or something.   I don't really know.

If I add a "Collections.sort(files);" immediately afterword, the test does
pass.   However, I'm not sure if that's what we want or if the test
should be updated to allow for sorted and non-sorted behavior.

Re: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release PMD Plugin

Posted by John Tolentino <jo...@gmail.com>.