Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by David Wallace <da...@nzqa.govt.nz> on 2006/03/09 00:38:55 UTC

Re: help with creating a directory ie front page menu of common terms

This is true.  What I do is I have Nutch log all the searches.  Every few weeks, I grab the most common search terms out of the log and turn them into my "common searches" menu.  Although having a manual process is not desirable, it does remove the possibility that a spammer will sabotage my menu.

Regards,
David.

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:28:51 -0500
From: "Insurance Squared Inc." gcooke@insurancesquared.com

Just a note that while this idea is good, displaying 'recent searches'
can be used by spammers. All they have to do is hammer your server with
a bunch of queries to 'www.some-poker-site.com' and their website gets a
link from yours. I'd be very leary of republishing any user inputs to
your system as it's prone to abuse.

Stephen Ensor wrote:

>Hi, I am using nutch to create a vertical search site and wish to create a
>directory type menu for my front page with all the most common terms in my
>
>For example say my vertical search is pets and my index is full of pet sites
>and pages, the common terms would be (cat, dog, fish, food, vet, etc*).  Would
>this be possible to generate using nutch and some plugin?
>
>Any help is much appreciated, Thanks
>
>Steve

This email may contain legally privileged information and is intended only for the addressee. It is not necessarily the official view or
communication of the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or
information in it. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately. NZQA does not accept any liability for changes made to this email or attachments after sending by NZQA.

All emails have been scanned for viruses and content by MailMarshal.
NZQA reserves the right to monitor all email communications through its network.