Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Jan-Frode Myklebust <ja...@tanso.net> on 2013/02/06 22:22:01 UTC

slow HITs ?

I have a reverse proxy that's serving about 1.5 million requests/day,
and about 20 GB data (and I have a 30 GB cache volume for ATS). Looking
trough my squid log, I see several HITs that are taking several seconds
to complete:

	1360166550.001 28898 188.x.y.z TCP_HIT/200 573359 GET http://content.example.com/nuxeo/site/example/tv/partner/1000 - NONE/- text/xml -
	1360134095.057 29304 79.x.y.z TCP_HIT/200 1550 GET http://content.example.com/nuxeo/nxfile/default/d2128a17-e6c3-47ca-bc41-4865c07f662c/tvch:xsiteLogo/NRK2_DB.png - NONE/- image/png -

What can explain ~30 elapsed time to complete HITs of 500KB and 1.5 KB ?
Is it affected by slow clients?

  -jf

Re: slow HITs ?

Posted by Jan-Frode Myklebust <ja...@tanso.net>.
On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 03:49:05PM -0700, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> Typically slow clients in my experience.

Good, thanks.

> I'd suggest you enable the
> "slow log" feature, put it at a threshold of e.g. 25s, and it will
> log some information about where time is being spent. Do you have
> any timeout set at around 30s ?

Those two samples at just below 30s were just samples.. I have many
similar HITs that are taking both longer and shorter time. I haven't
tuned anything down to 30s, all timeouts are the 3.2.4 defaults, except
transaction_no_activity_timeout_in/out which we had to increase to 120s.

Thanks for the suggestion about the slow log feature. Will keep it in
mind if decide to dig deeper into these.

  -jf

Re: slow HITs ?

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 2/6/13 2:22 PM, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> I have a reverse proxy that's serving about 1.5 million requests/day,
> and about 20 GB data (and I have a 30 GB cache volume for ATS). Looking
> trough my squid log, I see several HITs that are taking several seconds
> to complete:
>
> 	1360166550.001 28898 188.x.y.z TCP_HIT/200 573359 GET http://content.example.com/nuxeo/site/example/tv/partner/1000 - NONE/- text/xml -
> 	1360134095.057 29304 79.x.y.z TCP_HIT/200 1550 GET http://content.example.com/nuxeo/nxfile/default/d2128a17-e6c3-47ca-bc41-4865c07f662c/tvch:xsiteLogo/NRK2_DB.png - NONE/- image/png -
>
> What can explain ~30 elapsed time to complete HITs of 500KB and 1.5 KB ?
> Is it affected by slow clients?

Typically slow clients in my experience. I'd suggest you enable the "slow
log" feature, put it at a threshold of e.g. 25s, and it will log some
information about where time is being spent. Do you have any timeout set at
around 30s ?

-- Leif