Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Kevin Sweeney <ke...@apache.org> on 2013/12/14 03:20:59 UTC

Tagging process

Hey all,

I think figuring out the tagging process sooner than later is in everyone's
best interest so that we can get out of cherry-pick limbo. I'm out next
week, but if anyone wants to take a stab at it (using
https://reviews.apache.org/r/16265/ as a starting point or just throw it
away, please feel free). My thinking:

.auroraversion on master only ever contains -SNAPSHOT versions. This makes
it harder for someone to reset and accidentally creating bogus non-SNAPSHOT
artifacts.

At each tag there are 2 commits. One on an anonymous branch that does
s/-SNAPSHOT// and one on master that increments the MINOR portion of the
version. So if master is 0.2.0-SNAPSHOT this new branch will have 0.2.0.
For that commit we create an annotated (preferably PGP-signed) tag, 0.2.0.
The other commit on master changes .auroraversion to 0.3.0-SNAPSHOT.

Once everything is verified we'll push 2 things - the new master and the
tag (so origin will not have a name for the branch the tag was created on).

What does everyone think of this process?
--
Kevin Sweeney
@kts

Re: Tagging process

Posted by Maxim Khutornenko <ma...@twitter.com>.
I presume hotfixing would be a completely manual process where we would branch out from a tagged release?

Thanks,
Maxim

Re: Tagging process

Posted by Zameer Manji <zm...@gmail.com>.
This process sounds good to me. So long as the process is automated I think
we will be fine. Will the person who creates the release ("release czar"?)
get to choose what lands on master before the release is cut?

Also does this mean we need to keep the CHANGELOG updated as we commit new
features so the tagged release has a proper changelog?

--
Zameer Manji

Re: Tagging process

Posted by Brian Wickman <wi...@twitter.com>.