Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io> on 2020/04/06 15:54:53 UTC

Proposal to bring GEODE-7941 to support/1.12

Recently some Geode users have expressed concern that shiro-1.4.1.jar is getting flagged for critical security vulnerability CVE-2020-1957.

Analysis shows that Geode does not use Shiro in a manner that would expose this vulnerability, so maybe there is no need to backport GEODE-7941.

The risk of bringing GEODE-7941 is very low (Shiro 1.5.2 has no API changes or other breaking changes relative to 1.4.1; Shiro rolled its minor version only to make JDK 8 the minimum).  GEODE-7941 has passed all tests on develop.

I am happy to go either way here, so putting it to a vote.  Does 'making Geode 1.12 look better to automated vulnerability scans' qualify as a ‘critical fix’?  A big red flag doesn’t make a good first impression…also it’s not easy for a user to discover for themselves that Geode is not actually vulnerable.  Bringing this fix to support/1.12 might bolster users’ confidence in the Geode community and our new support-branch model.

-Owen

Re: Proposal to bring GEODE-7941 to support/1.12

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@vmware.com.INVALID>.
+1 to backport

    +1 to backport

Posted by Jinmei Liao <ji...@vmware.com.INVALID>.
+1 to backport

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
+1 to backport

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
There appears to be consensus that this is a critical fix.  I’ve brought the change to support/1.12 and added 1.12.1 to the listed of fixed versions in Jira.

git cherry-pick -x 6fffd5c07a2f67575ccec6d19df48c70a51ab1c3

-Owen

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
+1