Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Lionel Lindemann <li...@proliber.com> on 2001/05/28 18:33:30 UTC

infinite loop when the TO field is Undisclosed-recipient

Hello,

This is a tricky problem I have encountered in james 1.2.1.

First let me explain. Once in a while we receive mails with
Undisclosed-recipient in the TO field. Obviously, the mailer has put the
recipient address in the CCI field. If the mailbox given by the mailer is
correct, the mail is handled correctly by James. But if there is no mailbox
of the given name and James is configured to send the mail to the postmaster
or to reply to the sender, a wrong address exception is thrown and the mail
stays in the spool. James does not destroy it, resulting in an infinite
loop.

You can test this problem by sending a mail from outlook with nothing in the
TO and CC field, and a bad mailbox in the CCI field.

Attached is a hack to the NotifyPostmaster and NotifySender mailet,
preventing this infinite loop. This is only a hack, something much cleaner
should be done about it, but there again I am limited by my knowledge of the
James architecture. Hope this helps.