Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Bruce Best (CRO)" <be...@lao.on.ca> on 2002/08/01 21:36:16 UTC

Hit Navigation in Lucene?

I am looking at Lucene as the search engine for our office's legal research
site. We have been looking at some of the commercial offerings, but Lucene
seems to offer most of what we need, and we may end up using it and spending
money on paying someone to customize it to our needs.

For our purposes, one feature that is probably indispensible is hit
highlighing and hit navigation. I see the former has already been added to
the contributions section.

With respect to hit navigation, the kind of thing I am looking at is along
the lines of that used by the Fulcrum search engine; if anyone is not
familiar with Fulcrum, a good example site is the Government of Canada
Employment Insurance Jurisprudence Library at
http://www.ei-ae.gc.ca/easyk/search.asp. Do a search for any term (try
"fired"), then click on any of the resulting documents. The resulting page
has the search terms highlighted, much as they would be in Lucene with the
hit highlighting added, with a narrow frame at the top of the window with
hit navigation buttons to allow users to jump to the next search term in the
document.

Would it be difficult to implement something similar with Lucene? I am not
familiar with the technologies involved (I am not a coder), so do not know
if this is trivial or impossible or somewhere in between.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Bruce

RE: Hit Navigation in Lucene?

Posted by "Nader S. Henein" <ns...@bayt.net>.
Here's the highlightinhg javascript ready with copyright and all

This clicking to the next highlighted term is all done in javascript, not by
the backend system.

So if you get permission, you can use their code and look this in with the
Lucene Highlight. I'll bet that the highlighting is being done via
javascript too so you don't need the lucene highlighting code.

Although, the Lucene highlighting code works with wildcards.

--Peter

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Hit Navigation in Lucene?

Posted by Peter Carlson <ca...@bookandhammer.com>.