Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Steven Lembark <le...@wrkhors.com> on 2001/06/20 05:02:55 UTC

Unable to build apache + mod_perl on AIX

 apache_1.3.20  mod_perl-1.25
AIX kbs80 3 4 000C30CD4C00 unknown

Problem:  regardless of what arg's I've tried or all-in-one, one-step I
keep getting
xlC as the compier and CFLAGS which include "-qlonglong -q32 -maxmem'.   xlC
then fails to compile apache.

Running ./configure --blah in the apache directory w/ CC=/path/to/gcc and
CFLAGS='-O2 -I/blah -L/blah' gives me a working copy of apache -- sans
mod_perl.

Running "find . -type f | xargs grep -il qlonglong" and '... grep -il xlC'
in the mod_perl
and apache directories gets me NADA.   This includes the documentation,
source,
Makefiles, inputs, you-name-it.

Question:  What is a way to run some combination of "perl Makefile.PL" with
or
without ./configure for apache that will cause the result to use $CC and
$CFLAGS
in my envoronment -- or which piece of code can I hack that is finding xlC
in hte
first place (sorry, I don't have time to perl -d Makefile.pl at this
point).

thanx.

Re: Unable to build apache + mod_perl on AIX

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de>.
On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 10:02:55PM -0500, Steven Lembark wrote:
>  apache_1.3.20  mod_perl-1.25
> AIX kbs80 3 4 000C30CD4C00 unknown
>
> Problem:  regardless of what arg's I've tried or all-in-one, one-step I
> keep getting
> xlC as the compier and CFLAGS which include "-qlonglong -q32 -maxmem'.   xlC
> then fails to compile apache.
>
> Running ./configure --blah in the apache directory w/ CC=/path/to/gcc and
> CFLAGS='-O2 -I/blah -L/blah' gives me a working copy of apache -- sans
> mod_perl.
>
> Running "find . -type f | xargs grep -il qlonglong" and '... grep -il xlC'
> in the mod_perl
> and apache directories gets me NADA.   This includes the documentation,
> source,
> Makefiles, inputs, you-name-it.
>
> Question:  What is a way to run some combination of "perl Makefile.PL" with
> or
> without ./configure for apache that will cause the result to use $CC and
> $CFLAGS
> in my envoronment -- or which piece of code can I hack that is finding xlC
> in hte
> first place (sorry, I don't have time to perl -d Makefile.pl at this
> point).

The problem is perl itself here - it is probably compiled using xlc.
Just run perl -V and look at the output. If you want to build Apache and
modperl using gcc than you _must_ also build perl using gcc. This means
you can not use the perl which is part of AIX, as this is built using
xlc.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH